Archer A20 is broadcasting WIFI but nothing out of the data ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-24 21:47:25
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 build 20191026 rel. 16299

This unit has worked well for quite a while. It has abruptly stopped feeding data to the other 7 routers on the network. (All are Archer A7's) I have replaced it with another A20 but I would like to get this one back in the mix. Are there any ideas out there?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer A20 is broadcasting WIFI but nothing out of the data ports
2023-07-26 19:05:11 - last edited 2023-07-26 19:08:03

@bevelsport,

Are you able to first connect another wired device to the main router, instead of an A7? Try connecting a PC to the A20 with a wired connection and seeing if you are able to access the Web interface of the router via tplinkwifi.net or the IP address of the router.

This would at least tell us if there is a problem with the ethernet ports on the main, or if there is something odd happening in the negotiation between the main router and the APs. 

Did you happen to add anything to the network or experience anything odd around the time that the ethernet ports stopped working?

Options
2023-07-26 19:45:48 - last edited 2023-07-26 19:47:03

@Riley_S 

Thanks for your post.

This A20 is fed by another A20 that is fed by the IP's Fiber Optic device via CAT6 from the outside of the house. The failed one feeds data to our cabins and, through the network. The cabins had been vacant for a few days so the exact timing of the failure is unknown. During that vacant time we did have a fairly powerful thunderstorm blow through. I discovered the problem while prepping the cabins for incoming guests. There may have been a significant strike nearby but, nothing else in the network failed. But, we all know how capricious these things can be. I had a 2012 Chevy Volt die after there was a strike a few feet in front of the car. There was no physical damage but, after 3 different dealers struck out trying the fix it, the insurance company totaled it and I got a genreous settlement. Nothing else on the nearby property failed.

I did hook up an old, retired NetGear router with no success. I will follow your suggestion later today. I have a laptop that I can easily pull from a remote building for testing. 

Options
2023-07-26 21:09:30

@bevelsport,

If you did have weather around the time, I would assume that this would be the cause of the failure.

It's possible that a line was struck somewhere nearby and was able to travel all the way to your home. Unfortunately, it's pretty common to see some odd failures from power fluctuations and lightning storms.

Have you been able to verify that the ports on the APs are working with the new router? If they are external cabins, it is also possible that they may have also been impacted.

Options
2023-07-27 12:44:34

@Riley_S 

The individual cabin A7's fed by the new A20 are all functioning properly. The subject A20 does not pass data directly to a standalone laptop. 

I guess the main question I have is, if this failure is related to a weather related event, does it make sense to do anything but bin the failed unit? It seems that this may be the cost of doing business. I have reset the A20 and it still fails. It seems a real shame to discard it. But, if there is not an economical way to correct the failure, it is just too bad.

Options