Mix ac and ax mesh routers?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-21 01:40:38 - last edited 2023-08-23 15:56:13
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I am having a mesh network with two Deco X60. Now I'd like to add two more Deco routers. Due to limited budget, I intend to buy ac wifi M5 or S7. But I wonder if those deco working good with current X60. For example, my mobile connected to a X60 (by ax wifi) and having a video call, if I move around in my house and it switches to a M5 (by ac wifi), is the video call get interrupt due to ax <> ac switching?

Anyone can help ? 

Thank you very much.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Mix ac and ax mesh routers?-Solution
2023-08-22 16:34:39 - last edited 2023-08-23 15:56:13

@IceKream,

I had a feeling that there would be no lapse due to the seamless roaming and the 802.11r compatibility between the two technologies. 

After speaking with our testing team, they confirmed that due to the compatibility between wireless technologies, there would be no lapse in connection due to AC vs AX. This also means that the transfer is supported by AI Seamless Roaming which should make the changeover unnoticeable.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Mix ac and ax mesh routers?
2023-08-21 16:26:00
I expect that changing the wifi technology does not affect roaming from one Deco to another one.
Options
2023-08-21 17:42:40

@IceKream,

All Decos are meant to work together and will work to create an effortless switch between nodes and each generation of wi-fi technology is highly compatible with previous generations. The 'lapse' in connection should either be the same or better than what you are currently experiencing when moving between nodes. 

You will be limited by whatever technology is available on the node you are connecting through, with the largest amount of features and performance being determined by the MAIN model of your network.

I would highly recommend looking at upgrading the main node of your network to an AX technology, as AC has become somewhat dated, with almost all devices now supporting AX. Upgrading your main node should improve connectivity between nodes and performance across your entire network - especially due to the bandwidth and range upgrades that come with it.

Options
2023-08-22 04:48:42

Riley_S wrote

@IceKream,

All Decos are meant to work together and will work to create an effortless switch between nodes and each generation of wi-fi technology is highly compatible with previous generations. The 'lapse' in connection should either be the same or better than what you are currently experiencing when moving between nodes. 

You will be limited by whatever technology is available on the node you are connecting through, with the largest amount of features and performance being determined by the MAIN model of your network.

I would highly recommend looking at upgrading the main node of your network to an AX technology, as AC has become somewhat dated, with almost all devices now supporting AX. Upgrading your main node should improve connectivity between nodes and performance across your entire network - especially due to the bandwidth and range upgrades that come with it.

@Riley_S Thanks for you reply.

Currently my main node is AX60 and I will keep its state. What I concern is when a device moving from AC zone (e.g a Deco M5 coverage) to AX zone (AX60) or vice versa, is there any interrupt (even a minimal) or completely transparent?

Thanks

Options
Re:Mix ac and ax mesh routers?-Solution
2023-08-22 16:34:39 - last edited 2023-08-23 15:56:13

@IceKream,

I had a feeling that there would be no lapse due to the seamless roaming and the 802.11r compatibility between the two technologies. 

After speaking with our testing team, they confirmed that due to the compatibility between wireless technologies, there would be no lapse in connection due to AC vs AX. This also means that the transfer is supported by AI Seamless Roaming which should make the changeover unnoticeable.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-23 15:55:54

@Riley_S  it's good news for me. Thank you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 541

Replies: 5

Related Articles