Create backhaul via powerline adapters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-25 20:45:46
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I was reading about the PX50 as well as the P9 and how both have powerline backhaul support and it got me thinking if I could do the same thing with my X20. I know I could just buy one of the newer sets but i like my little X20. I am just looking to make the connectivity between the nodes more relabie than they are now via wireless. I know TP Link makes their own powerline kits, it just happens that i have a set of Netgear PL1010v2 that I was thinking might work in this case. I figure the setup would be something like this:

Main deco is plugged into the modem, first PL unit is then plugged into that deco. In another room where another Deco is I would plug in another PL unit and connect it to that Deco. Am i right in thinking this is how it should be done?

Modem - Deco - PL--------------------PL - Deco

Like i said, I could buy new... but why not at least try with what i already have first.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Create backhaul via powerline adapters
2023-08-27 13:24:39
I believe it will work. The X20 will see that as an Ethernet backhaul, hence I expect they will stop using wifi(s) as backhaul. The P9 are, apparently, using simultaneously CPL and wifi(s) as backhaul.
Options
2023-08-28 17:59:09

@yves_b Excellent. Thanks for the response. I hooked them up and sure enough it is now showing ethernet connection in the app. I am glad it worked as I assumed and it turns out one of the PL adapters is also a wifi module so i set that up with a specific SSID and set it for slower WPA devices where as my main Deco is set for WPA2/3 devices. It works great as an alternative to creating a guest network.

Options
2023-08-28 19:15:03 - last edited 2023-08-28 19:16:53

@Darthv72,

Glad you got it working - We normally just don't recommend this setup as the connection is more unstable, and your Deco model is not necessarily 'designed' like the powerline decos to deal with the ever-changing backhaul.

Are you able to receive decent/similar speeds on the satellite Deco node?

Oh also, make sure you keep an eye out for the IoT network update to your X20s - The IoT network allows you to set a different security encryption for your devices, which sounds like it may be what you are looking for.

Options
2023-08-28 19:29:36

@Riley_S I have not experienced any percieved difference in performance since getting this working. I am unaware of a speed test between deco units, so if there is a way to see just how different powerline/ethernet is vs wifi backhaul... Id love to know how to do that. As it is when i do the standard speed tests it just tests the throughput of my home internet. And I did update the FW of my units to support IoT and moved my IoT devices to that network.

Thanks for asking.

Options
2023-08-28 21:23:29

@Darthv72,

The best way to truthfully measure the performance between nodes is to perform a normal speedtest over a wired connection to the main deco, and then perform a test to the same speed test server while your PC is wired to the satellite unit. This allows you to see what your network is capable of, versus what a client connected to a satellite node is capable of - Essentially showing how much of your bandwidth you are losing from node to node.

Also, for your information in the future - Decos will automatically rescan and reconfigure their backhaul when they are rebooted. If you have problems with the satellite deco moving to the Powerline connection from Wi-Fi,  you may reboot the satellite.

Options
2023-08-28 21:33:53

@Riley_S excellent idea. I will do just that. I can easily plug into each node and see what each one tells me. Thank you for the suggestion.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 664

Replies: 6

Related Articles