Extend wifi to barn

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extend wifi to barn

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Extend wifi to barn
Extend wifi to barn
2023-08-26 13:43:50
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have 3 of the M5 units in my house working perfect.

We built a barn about 80' away from our house and would like to extend our internet to it.

I have taken one of the M5 units inside the barn and it does not get signal.

When I sit the unit just outside the door of the barn it gets a weak signal. 

How can I make it stronger so that people in the barn can get better signal? 

We don't want to run any new cables.

The barn and house are on the same electrical meter but have separate breaker panels.

do I need an outdoor unit halfway?

will a mesh 6 be compatible and either push farther from our house or pull it better from the m5's we already have?

thanks for any suggestions!

I am not tech savvy so any help is welcome.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Extend wifi to barn
2023-08-27 13:15:32 - last edited 2023-08-27 13:26:41

@mtag Deco X50-Outdoor is likely what will resolve your situation. There are a number of configurations utilizing it which could work. It is compatible with M5. If it were me, I would purchase one, place it just outside of the house on the side facing the barn (maybe on the roof, or mounted on the side as high up as you can go) and see how that does getting the signal to inside the barn. If it is still not strong enough, then I would purchase a second X50-Outdoor unit and put it just outside the barn (also on the roof, or mounted on the side facing the house). The second X50-Outdoor unit would certainly provide the strongest signal, however would be more expensive. I would keep all of the M5 units inside the house as you originally had them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKPRCS6W

Options
2023-08-27 15:10:55
Thank you! I've ordered it to be delivered tomorrow. I'll respond with how that goes.
Options
2023-08-29 02:43:45

@H242  one x50 outdoor unit set up just outside the house, with an m5 inside the barn, works perfect. We can steam video from inside the barn in the farthest corner. Thank you! 

Options
2023-08-29 13:06:19

@mtag That's really awesome. Congrats! I'm very happy that it worked for you without an enormous amount of effort or playing around to get it to work.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 431

Replies: 4

Related Articles