Deco Configuration Backup

2023-09-20 16:29:50
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.7 Build 20230728 Rel. 54059

Seems like this has been requested many times across the Deco line, but there is no backup function for my Deco unit. I've checked in the mobile app and browser.

Many many reasons why this is a must have already been shared.

For me, it took me many hours to add all my DHCP reservations, update device names, etc inside the mobile app. It is imperative that we be able to back up all of this configuration work. Many stories of people losing all their work as their main unit crashes.

I read on one single thread that config data may be stored in the TPLink cloud. I haven't been able to find any other evidence to support this. Is this true?

Options
16 Reply
Re:Deco Configuration Backup
2023-09-20 22:56:28

@xjsimon,

I will see what I can do about forwarding the feedback again, as I have not received this request in a while, and the Deco line has been receiving quite the amount of firmware/feature updates already.

I do not believe that your configuration options are saved in the cloud, at least for local networking - I believe that the only information saved is related to items that you receive reports on, such as HomeShield and Parental Controls, and even then it is possible that the cloud connection is only used for communicating the information stored on your router to the phone. I know that we do make an effort to store as little data as possible, so I will definitely forward the feedback that an exportable config file would be more than welcome. 

A new feature was added that allows you to switch the 'Main Deco' of the network (which is where these settings are stored). I believe that the original main unit has to be alive on the network, but it is a positive indicator that developments are being made for moving the settings between nodes.

Options
2023-09-21 14:29:30

@Riley_S 

This is really unfortunate. When I was searching this topic, there were threads from over 2-3 years ago where folks were requesting this feature. At one point a TP-Link representative stated that config backup would be added to the next firmware version. Evidently that never materialized. This is a very basic function, but it is very important - especially since all the setup is done very tediously through the mobile app only!

Quick question - when you use the feature to change the main unit to another Deco unit, do the settings transfer to the new main unit, or does it start from scratch?

Options
2023-09-21 16:44:38

@xjsimon,

If I were to hazard a guess it would likely be because of how recent Deco firmware developments have gone, with many different versions and features released over a short period. It may even still be on the roadmap but was displaced until after the new firmware platform completes its rollout.

And yes, when you use the "Set as Main Deco" feature your network settings will transfer to the 'new' main deco: 

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Options
2023-09-21 16:52:04

@Riley_S 

This is really good to know. I'm almost tempted to buy a backup Deco unit to keep handy in case I ever need to fail over if the main Deco unit goes down.

I read the article about how to switch the main unit. Does the process automatically reconfigure the old main unit or could I theoretically switch to a new main main and take the old main off the network and keep as a backup?

Options
2023-09-21 17:53:48

@xjsimon

I believe that the main deco is reconfigured as a satellite node in this case. If it is not reconfigured as a satellite, it would likely go through a reset process and need to be added to the network again through the normal setup/add process.

I think that this process requires that the main node be active, so it would likely be more of a situation where you can easily upgrade or exchange main nodes when you begin to have suspicions that the node is on its way out. Your process would also potentially get trick since you would be looking to have two main nodes on your account, which would cause your Deco app to show a completely different Deco networks for the two main nodes.

Options
2023-09-21 18:18:30

@Riley_S 

Thanks Riley for clarifying. Obviously, the best outcome right now is that the backup feature is introduced into the firmware.

Options
2023-11-28 20:01:00

@xjsimon 

Hard to believe there is no backup/restore option. I currently use my Deco X20 with DHCP off, but neet to turn it on, then see whether I can get VOIP to work, which is currently on my DHCP device. Without a backup/restore, this try and restore is going to be prohibitive. Time to switch to a mesh that has backup/restore and warn others that Deco X20 has no solution for this. Hard to believe.

Options
2023-12-11 02:04:03

@xjsimon Just reiterating that is is really disappointing in the hope that TP Link might take notice.

Only got a Deco mesh system a few weeks ago - was halfway through configuring my address reservation when I realised that I had better back these up and couldn't find an option. Really disappointing that these units can't do that when the most basic of ISP provided routers can.

Options
2023-12-12 18:12:42

@PavPev Amen. Wish TPLink made this a priority.

Options
2024-02-21 12:12:10

@xjsimon I know this is an old thread but I just purchased the Deco BE63 two pack and I'm disappointed after setting up my system, that I cannot backup my settings to a file.

I hope TP-Link is working on this.

I am also having issues with security cameras connecting to the router. I created a separate loT network at 2.4GHz with WPA2 and they still won't connect to it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 1081

Replies: 16

Related Articles