How many devices the Archer GX90 AX6600 support?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-25 01:12:38
Model: Archer GX90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Archer GX90(US)_V1.6_1.1.2 Build 20230830

Hi! I have 50 IoT devices (mostly lights and security cameras) operating on the 2.4G network in my 150m2 home, and 20 devices (TVs, laptops, and cell phones) operating on the 5G network. I would like to know if this router will support all of these devices without dropping or switching between them. If it does not support, which router would support my needs? Thank you!

Options
1 Reply
Re:How many devices the Archer GX90 AX6600 support?
2023-09-25 23:19:31

@bsrabelo,

There is a lot to unpack there to be honest.

The GX90 has a Maximum Wireless clients of 64+64+128 according to the different bands available to the model. The model also has a recommendation of 50 Recommended Clients. This means simultaneous online clients but will vary based on the usage of your network.

Your IoT Devices will not all contribute to this maximum as many will 'sleep' and not maintain their connection to your router. This is the case for a lot of lightweight IoT devices; your problems will mainly occur for the TVs and cameras, as they have the potential to always be connected depending on your setup. This is also a large reason why people use IoT networks, as it can manage your overall bandwidth and make sure your regular devices have a stable connection.

This also is only talking about wireless clients, so simply wiring a TV or Laptop can take a great deal of strain/use off of your wireless networks.

Across our Routers, you chose well. The following models all share the same maximum recommended clients

AX4400 AX72 AX73 AX6000 AX90 GX90 AX11000

The only way in which you could grow this number is by looking at the latest Wi-Fi 7 Archers. 

I would perhaps recommend looking at our Deco Line of Mesh Systems as you may benefit more from the IoT Network, Smart Camera Options, and Increased Device Capacity of Wi-Fi 6/6E/7 Deco systems. A mesh system would also provide additional 'nodes' that have additional antennas for your devices' connection

Options