ax3000 deco x55 - lag with Spectrum streaming via Roku

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-25 13:31:47 - last edited 2023-09-29 12:00:42
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 build 20230522 rel 68968

I recently purchased a Deco ax3000 2 pod mesh kit for my home.  I have Spectrum for streaming and internet (500mbps down / 25mbps up) and stream using a Roku ultra (latest version) connected to a Sony Bravia  XBR-65x900E tv.  I also have a previous release Roku ultra connected to an older Samsung smartTV.  I've been dealing with issues while streaming via the roku where the video would freeze briefly and lag about 1sec behind the audio.  this goes for a couple seconds and then everything goes back to normal.  Sometimes I can go hours without this happening and other times it might happen every 15-30 seconds. 

This has been going on for a few months even when I was using a Spectrum supplied wireless router.  I've had Spectrum out to the house numerous times, they've replaced cabling in the house and they also replaced cabling from the tv pole into the house.  According to them the signal is "perfect."  They did replace the cable modem and wireless router but nothing helped.  I finally decided to get a Deco mesh system just to see if that would help as I thought I would get a stronger signal which might help.

Well I'm still having the issue even with the deco and while it may not be the Deco units themselves I'm wondering if there's any settings I can tweak that might help this issue.

Layout:

Main Deco plugged in my upstairs office with Deco ethernet cable running to modem.

Remote Deco plugged in downstairs probably 20'-30' away - shows "Fair" connection strength to Main Deco

TV with Roku about 15' away from remote Deco - Shows Excellent strength

What I've done so far:

1. Insured I have the latest firmware installed

2. Made sure TV and Roku have latest firmware installed

3. Turned off Fast Roaming on Deco

4. Turned off Beam Forming on Deco

5. Reset DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

6. I reboot the Deco network nightly @ 3am

I've attempted to move the main and remote deco's to see if I can get a better connection strength than fair.  The 2 units, while on separate floors are pretty much line of sight to each other possibly going through 1 wall into the upstairs office.  Running cabling between the deco's or directly into the Roku is not an option.

I also tried forcing the Roku to connect directly to the main Deco upstairs which gives me "excellent" strength but doesn't seem to help with the lag on the picture.

Is there anything else I could try changing on the Deco to see if there would be any improvement.  Or has anyone experienced this with a Sony Bravia TV and have suggestions?  Talking to Spectrum is has become a lost cause.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ax3000 deco x55 - lag with Spectrum streaming via Roku-Solution
2023-09-26 22:50:03 - last edited 2023-09-29 12:00:42

Hey @skondolf,

Unfortunately, if the issue existed when you only had the Spectrum gateway in place, it is likely that the problem cannot be fixed through settings on the Deco. The only way that it could be improved is if the behavior is a result of the Roku unit's network adapter itself - however this does not sound like the case.

Do you know if the behavior also occurs if the Rokus have a wired connection? Is the behavior limited to a specific video service or all video streams in general?

It looks like you have already changed all the settings on your Deco network which could potentially have an effect. You may consider seeing if forcing the Roku to use a specific frequency will have an effect. To help minimize the problem, I would recommend configuring the Roku as a High-Priority device so that you can be sure that your deco network is working to provide the Roku with a stable connection.

You may also try another DNS such as CloudFlare just in case it is more stable.

As much as it isn't great to just point fingers, the problem is definitely caused by something outside of your network on Spectrum's side. You may see if you can look at the system logs on the Spectrum Gateway to see if it will indicate why the connection lagged.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:ax3000 deco x55 - lag with Spectrum streaming via Roku-Solution
2023-09-26 22:50:03 - last edited 2023-09-29 12:00:42

Hey @skondolf,

Unfortunately, if the issue existed when you only had the Spectrum gateway in place, it is likely that the problem cannot be fixed through settings on the Deco. The only way that it could be improved is if the behavior is a result of the Roku unit's network adapter itself - however this does not sound like the case.

Do you know if the behavior also occurs if the Rokus have a wired connection? Is the behavior limited to a specific video service or all video streams in general?

It looks like you have already changed all the settings on your Deco network which could potentially have an effect. You may consider seeing if forcing the Roku to use a specific frequency will have an effect. To help minimize the problem, I would recommend configuring the Roku as a High-Priority device so that you can be sure that your deco network is working to provide the Roku with a stable connection.

You may also try another DNS such as CloudFlare just in case it is more stable.

As much as it isn't great to just point fingers, the problem is definitely caused by something outside of your network on Spectrum's side. You may see if you can look at the system logs on the Spectrum Gateway to see if it will indicate why the connection lagged.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ax3000 deco x55 - lag with Spectrum streaming via Roku
2023-09-29 12:00:30

Hello @Riley_S 

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I don't have the ability to setup a wired connection to the rokus.  also I've already set them up as a high-priority connection.  I also agree it probably doesn't have to do with the TP-Link hardware as it was happening prior but I wanted to see if there was anything I could do with TP-Link that might help improve my connection and minimize the issue.

I did receive a text from Spectrum that they are working on "upgrading and improving" their network in my area and that it may go on for a few more days so perhaps that'll help although I don't put much stock in that until I actually see the improvement.

I'll keep questioning Spectrum to see if I can get them to resolve the issue.

Thanks again.

Steve

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 438

Replies: 2

Related Articles