Multiple network names on Deco?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-26 18:42:54
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Can I have 2 or more network names?   Unfortntately I am replacing an old setup where some devices are using name-5G or name-2G and I don't want to change those devices.  So I would like to use those 2 names and if possible a third "name".   I can then change the old devices at my leasure.   It looks like I could configure the guest network to have 2 names (one for each channel).  Want to be sure before I buy either the S4 or S55.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Multiple network names on Deco?
2023-09-26 22:58:49

Hey  @joebalazs,

Unfortunately, for what you are specifically looking for, it likely won't work the way you would like. 

Technically, you will have access to 3 SSIDs: for the IoT Network, Main Network, and Guest Network. (Note: Of the Two Listed, only the X55 supports an IoT Network)

The SSIDs that you have indicate that they were only using one of the wireless bands, whether it be the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz networks.The SSIDs for Decos do not allow you to select a specific band for the entire SSID and the different networks are really mean to be used for their designated purpose. It is likely that your devices will not transition to the news SSIDs smoothly, as the 5G devices will be connecting to a network with both 2.4 and 5Ghz combined. You would then need to configure the signal preference (2.4 or 5) from within the Deco App.

For your needs, you will likely want to look towards our Archer series of routers - as these will provide the settings that you are looking for. If you are looking for a mesh solution, many of our Archer Routers also support EasyMesh networking, which will allow you to create a cohesive network without a designated "mesh system"

Options
2023-09-27 00:23:24

Hey @Riley_S ,

Thank you for the quick reply.   The old wireless router required a separate SSID for each band.   I think some of the connected devices could only do 2.5 or 5 so those were the SSIDs they would connect to.  However I think those connected devices would work fine for a SSID that support both bands.    Do you think the following would work for the X55?

• Main network name - Fred (new name for this installation)
  • IoT name - Fred-2 (the current SSID for devices connected to Fred-2)
  • Guest Network name - Fred-5 (the curren SSID for devices connect to Fred-5)

Once set up all the 30+ devices could continue to work without any modifications (yes, I would use the same password as before).  Then, overtime, I could update the devices to connect to Fred.

Thoughts?

Options
2023-09-27 14:12:47

@joebalazs I recently moved from an Ubiquity Amplifi system to a Deco XE75 Pro system.  Ubiquit had the ability to add additional SSID's for the same networks, but I dont see this in Deco.  You could use the Guest Network, for which you can specify the SSID and password, as well as what Bands (2.4, 5, 6) are available.  However device isolation might automatically be applied to that SSID (I'm not certain on this).  It appears you can create only one guest network utilizing 2.4 and/or 5ghz, and one guest network utilizing 6ghz.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2077

Replies: 3

Related Articles