C420 and RSTP Login?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

C420 and RSTP Login?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
C420 and RSTP Login?
C420 and RSTP Login?
2023-09-29 22:55:59
Model: Tapo C420S2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.14

Like many of the TP-Link products, the C420S2 and its hub, H200, doesn't directly support Apple HomeKit. One way to potentially support the camera is to use Homebridge and a plugin to bridge the connection between the camera and its hub and HomeKit. One of the plugins, https://github.com/kopiro/homebridge-tapo-camera#readme, requires the I enter a RSTP account name (email address) and password, in addition to my TP-Link account email address and password. What should I enter for the RSTP account name and password?

An alternative plugin, https://github.com/RaresAil/homebridge-tp-link-tapo#readme, may not support the camera or hub.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to get either plugin to work with the camera or hub?

Options
2 Reply
Re:C420 and RSTP Login?
2023-10-11 00:19:43

@gebjeff,

First off we can never recommend using your device through a third party service as we cannot guarantee the device's safety and functionality at that point. This especially applies to third-party services that require your username and password associated with your TP-Link ID. While you may trust the connection, you are placing your login information in the hands of another service, which may not be stored as securely. 

I cannot see this working however, due to the fact that the cameras are not a part of the Wi-Fi network and communicate with the Hub - you would need to communicate through the Hub. Furthermore, RTSP is not supported on the cameras from a technical standpoint. Due to their battery and low-power nature, a constant RTSP connection would cause rapid battery drain. You would be better off looking at methods to automate the notification and events on the hub.

Options
Re:C420 and RSTP Login?
2023-10-11 02:24:02

@Riley_S Thanks for the response. As a very experienced cybersecurity professional, I appreciate and agree with your concerns about third party connections. However, Homebridge isn't a third party service; rather it's software that I run on a dedicated Raspberry Pi computer that's attached to the same network as the Tapo Hub. The Homebridge server makes calls to the TP-Link service that the Tapo hub and app connect to and also connects to the Apple Home app on iPhones and iPads. One additional feature is that an Apple HomeKit hub (i.e., Apple TV) in order to use the Apple Home app when not your not attached to the same network as the Homebridge.

i also appreciate your explanation about why RSTP isn't supported. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 600

Replies: 2

Related Articles