Why scheduled reboots?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Why scheduled reboots?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Why scheduled reboots?
Why scheduled reboots?
2023-10-03 01:49:44
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.w

There's an option for setting scheduled reboots in the XE75 Pro firmware. Why would I want to set that? Makes me think there's stability issues which will require such a setting, but maybe there's other reasons I'm not aware of for setting scheduled reboots? 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Why scheduled reboots?
2023-10-03 17:29:08

@cdysthe,

This setting is actually being introduced to most of our Decos simply as an added option for users. Over time, with any type of computer, the memory and cache fills and logs may slow overall performance. It is usually recommended to reboot occasionally, however it is not needed often. Feel free to leave the setting off and enable it if you begin to feel like your network is performing differently after a few days/weeks.

For some users, there are cases where it is useful to force your devices to disconnect or if you are at the performance threshold for the router, such as by having an excessive amount of devices, a reliable reboot may improve the performance of your network.

Options
2023-10-03 17:35:22 - last edited 2023-10-03 17:35:56

Riley_S wrote

@cdysthe,

This setting is actually being introduced to most of our Decos simply as an added option for users. Over time, with any type of computer, the memory and cache fills and logs may slow overall performance. It is usually recommended to reboot occasionally, however it is not needed often. Feel free to leave the setting off and enable it if you begin to feel like your network is performing differently after a few days/weeks.

For some users, there are cases where it is useful to force your devices to disconnect or if you are at the performance threshold for the router, such as by having an excessive amount of devices, a reliable reboot may improve the performance of your network.

@Riley_S  Good answer, thanks! I will try without for now and see how it goes. My old Orbi system had to be rebooted once or twice month because stale and stuck connections ant other annoying ilittle issues. Nothing like that on my new Deco network so far. So I'll keep that option in mind if I get problems in the future!

Options
2023-10-13 16:59:08

@Riley_S 

Mesh networks are self healing and self scaling and since it's "AI Enhanced technology", why wouldn't the Deco just do what it needed to do by itself; to clear out the cache or remove entries of disconnected devices, etc.?  I'm just curious.

Where i work, our WLC's handle the hundreds of AP's we have and I've never had any instance where we've had to "reboot" the AP's other than after a firmware update.

Options
2023-10-13 17:10:22

@Riley_S 

I have been doing this every friday morning at 4 am on my AX3000 for the last couple of years. I have 32 devices on the network and like them all to have to reconnect. The only downside is that my Simplisafe alarm sends a notification when it loses connection. So I get a ding on my phone at 4 am on Friday. :-)

Options
2023-10-13 17:17:05

@tomscot2 But why do you want them to reconnect? just haven't had to do that any of my previous network setups.

Options
2023-10-13 23:42:30

@DCinFL,

APs and Mesh are slightly different systems when it comes to the computing power behind them. An Access Point will only have one job, albeit one that they are very good at, forwarding/extending a wired local network.

Remember all Mesh Nodes are generally equal and are constantly working together to create the best experience; this includes calculating the best paths and handing off devices of their own accord - In traditional AP setups, your client devices are technically handling the 'Handoff' between Access Points. This means that, as with any computer it should eventually be rebooted for the best experience. Even when it comes to routers and APs, the system logs and error reporting that runs in the background, could potentially clog up the system's memory or may not be cleared for some reason, such as critical errors.

I would also imagine that in cases where the system would be in need of a reboot, the Decos will automatically do what you say and clear the caches and optimize their hardware/connections. The other side of this coin is that many take advantage of the fact that this will cause DHCP leases to refresh and cause all devices to disconnect and receive new IPs when they reconnect. If you have IoT devices that have difficulty staying connected to the network, a network reboot will also often give that device an opportunity to reconnect on a regular basis (daily/weekly)

Options
2023-10-14 14:04:59

Riley_S wrote

@cdysthe,

Over time, with any type of computer, the memory and cache fills and logs may slow overall performance. It is usually recommended to reboot occasionally, however it is not needed often. Feel free to leave the setting off and enable it if you begin to feel like your network is performing differently after a few days/weeks.

@Riley_S "with any type of computer", "It is usually recommended"...  Aren't you familiar with weasel words? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word sounds like it means something or has authority behind it.

How do you conclude any type?  Much less router/networking devices which are kind of inteteened for 24/7 use.  So who is making these recomdations?  for any type of computer?

I don't run an AI mesh nor TP-Link router, but it goes a moth or so issue free.  I have a Media PC, it only suspends occasionally.  It's uptime can go for weeks.  At best, as with some less computers, more specifically their operating systems, may require rebooting.  Specific vendors may suggest rebooting as a way to "fix" repeated problems.

If you reboot to "fix" something... are you actually fixing anything? indecision

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 915

Replies: 7

Related Articles