Slow internet speeds over Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-17 16:32:01
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220714

I have had an archer A7 as my home wireless router for about two years, and have had great performance up until a few weeks ago. I am seeing much slower internet speeds over Wifi compared to when I plug a laptop directly into the fiber modem. Plugged into the modem I get ~700 Mbps down and ~300 up, while over wifi I am seeing ~50-80 Mbps up/down.

I have not made any configuration changes to the router since It was originally set up, what can I try to help diagnose and resolve the issue?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Slow internet speeds over Wifi
2023-10-17 17:31:44

@MulletMarmot,

A few things:

Is your fiber modem in IP Passthrough or Bridge Mode so that you are not creating  a Dual-NAT situation with the A7?

What is the speed seen when connected into one of the ethernet ports of the A7? Wired and wireless speeds are difficult to compare, so a wired connection to the a7 will allow us to determine if the Archer is receiving the full bandwidth from your ISP and if performance is affected for all traffic passing through the Archer router.

What wireless speeds were you able to achieve prior to the decrease?

I would verify that both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are available - the speeds you mention could potentially indicate that your devices are connecting over 2.4Ghz, which has slower speeds. Check the LEDs of the Archer or the management interface for this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 163

Replies: 1

Related Articles