Unable to pair Tapo P125M Smart Plug with Apple Homekit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-21 19:56:05 - last edited Wednesday
Model: Tapo P125M  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 230801 Rel.091142

Hello,

I purchased the 3 pack P125M plugs from Amazon. I am able to set up the plugs and update the firmware using the TP-link Tapo App. However, I get a pairing error when adding it to the Apple Homekit with the Apple Home app. I have tried pairing it with Homekit after setting it up with the Tapo app and also without the Tapo app by resetting the plug. I get the "Unable to add accessory" message.  I have attached the phone screenshot with the error message.

My iPhone is running IOS 16.6.1. The Homekit hub is Apple TV. The iPhone is connected to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi home network.

I would prefer to use the plugs with Homekit and not with the Tapo app. Any help is appreciated.

Vijay

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unable to pair Tapo P125M Smart Plug with Apple Homekit-Solution
2023-10-23 19:45:48 - last edited Wednesday

@vmrao,

One - Matter offers Multi-Admin Control, meaning you can have equal control from both Tapo and Homekit - one does not fall under the other.

I would recommend using the Tapo connection so that you can receive firmware updates. In fact, try setting the device up via Tapo and seeing if there is an available firmware update. Matter has been changing a lot since its release, and my plugs have now received a few updates.

Second, ensure that the plug, TV, and phone can all communicate on the network, its possible that the TV is on an IoT network and cannot communicate with the plug via IPv6 (What matter is based on)

How far in the setup do you get? Do you get to the point in which you are able to scan the matter setup code?

Ensure you are attempting a FULL RESET by holding for 10 seconds, rather than the soft reset occurs at 5 seconds. In the past, Apple has required that devices use their setup method for the first 10 minutes after their first boot, this should not apply to Matter, but may still help Homekit see the device. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Unable to pair Tapo P125M Smart Plug with Apple Homekit-Solution
2023-10-23 19:45:48 - last edited Wednesday

@vmrao,

One - Matter offers Multi-Admin Control, meaning you can have equal control from both Tapo and Homekit - one does not fall under the other.

I would recommend using the Tapo connection so that you can receive firmware updates. In fact, try setting the device up via Tapo and seeing if there is an available firmware update. Matter has been changing a lot since its release, and my plugs have now received a few updates.

Second, ensure that the plug, TV, and phone can all communicate on the network, its possible that the TV is on an IoT network and cannot communicate with the plug via IPv6 (What matter is based on)

How far in the setup do you get? Do you get to the point in which you are able to scan the matter setup code?

Ensure you are attempting a FULL RESET by holding for 10 seconds, rather than the soft reset occurs at 5 seconds. In the past, Apple has required that devices use their setup method for the first 10 minutes after their first boot, this should not apply to Matter, but may still help Homekit see the device. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unable to pair Tapo P125M Smart Plug with Apple Homekit
2023-10-23 22:26:55

@vmrao - Thanks for your reply Riley.

I finally got it to work!

I think the issue was the plug was on a guest Wi-Fi network and could not communicate with the Apple TV which is on a wired Ethernet connection. Once I switched the plug to the main Wi-Fi network, the Homekit app was able to discover the plug and set it up. I also have the Tapo App setup with the plug so that I can get all the firmware updates.

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 697

Replies: 2

Related Articles