Tether app issue going on for YEARS now.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-27 06:56:13
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220714 rel.75573

In 2019 I used the Tether app to interact with my router from my phone. Until one day I upgraded my routers firmware. From that point on when trying to use my router from my phone. I sign into the tether app using the info I made and it works but then when I go to select the router it asks me for a PASSWORD that I never made and could never figure out. 

I was never able to figure out what the problem was. There was only the password I made for the account and the password for the wifi itself. Neither of them worked along with admin. So what is this obnoxious password?

Now I am installing a booster and it got me curious about this stupid issue again. Apparently, some lucky people got this fixed because it was found that their passwords had been cut to 15 characters. How of course this info was found out was never mentioned. Worse, WHAT about those who had passwords that were never 15 or more characters to begin with? 

I am not sure what pain resetting the router to factory would cause so I really want to avoid that. If I could just get that dumb password.

On a side note. It makes absolutely no sense to me that when on a PC I can use my TP cloud info to login and do anything I want to the router without being asked for the 2nd password. Which is why I never bothered to find an absolute fix. Yet when I am on my phone. I get asked for this mysterious 2nd password. I expected this to get sorted on its own by now.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tether app issue going on for YEARS now.
2023-10-30 22:19:12

@ThatLetter,

Do you happen to have the links to those threads? I would be more than happy to look them over since they are from well before my time here.

I would have imagined that the second password would be the password that was used to configure the router when it was first setup, and is the password that replaced the admin password. Somwehere along the line, you likely linked it to your TP-Link ID. Saying that, after linking to your TP-Link ID via the webUI, you should have access to the network from the tether app by just logging in.

What is the actual text of the information/password requested by the app?

Options
2023-10-30 22:46:51

@Riley_S 

This is the link to a thread I read back then where someone else had the exact same issue as me. People were able to fix their issue by creating a TP Link account. As well as this 15 character thing mentioned in the thread. But like I said, neither of those solutions would help me because I ALREADY had a tp linked account and a password that was nowhere near 15 characters.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/166782?replyId=463060&utm_source=Subscription&utm_medium=email

When I open the Tether app it shows my new booster as a "local device" and the router as a "cloud device". I would guess that's because I am connected to the booster first. Anyways, when I click booster it goes right in like it used to for the router years ago. If I select the router I get the following.

"Enter login password (not your tp link ID password) you have created to manage your device"

I never made any password OTHER than the tp link ID password. I kept the factory setting password because it was convenient to have it on the card printed. 

I tried both many times neither of them work. Tried "admin" but that doesn't work either. I can't really track what I've tried because it will threaten to lock me out after a few wrong attempts. 

But again it really makes no sense how the app wont let you interact with the router at all without this mysterious password. Yet on a browser I can just bypass the entire thing by logging into my tp link account. Although it still does ask for this mysterious password on a browser. It simply allows me to use my account as an alternative. Which is silly because on the app I am already logged in. It should work the same way but it doesn't. 

Options
2023-10-31 00:06:40 - last edited 2023-10-31 00:06:49

@ThatLetter,

Since you have access to the WebUI, you may actually try changing the Administrative Password to something other than the default 'admin'. You would also be able to tell if the password was changed at some point since it requires the old password

It may be that the default password is not allowed when used through the app for some reason - However, I honestly think it may have had a password added at some point, and unfortunately cannot be recovered, meaning a reset may be required.

I will reach out to our teams to see if I can get more information about why this is required and what may cause a case like yours, or if the lasting behavior is just a one-off case.

As for the hassles that come with resetting, your largest issue, as long as you choose the same network credentials, will largely be the loss of your IP reservations and MAC bindings - most of your devices will be able to reconnect to your network if it has the same name and password for the Wi-Fi. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 325

Replies: 3

Related Articles