Powerline + Mesh not working

2023-11-24 11:55:34
Model: Deco M4   Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

i have a mixed network of M4s (three) and XE75 (two) but the walls (and floors) are very thick in our "eco build" super insulated house!

so the two M4s on the 2nd and 3rd floors have a weak signal between each other, and the one on the second floor has a weak signal to the 1st floor.

I also have a pair of Powerline AC2000 adapters that i was hoping to use, essentially as a backhaul for the Decos, and connected one on the ground floor, and plugged this into the XE75 on the ground which is wired into the router, and the other on the 2nd floor and plugged into the M4 there.

When i look in the app, it still shows a weak signal, and when i test with a internet speed checker its not making a difference.

any suggestions ? 

Options
9 Reply
Re:Powerline + Mesh not working
2023-11-28 09:29:57

@DRPick Does the app show that the XE75 and the M4 are interconnected via Ethernet backhaul instead of wifi backhaul?

Options
2023-11-28 12:11:30

@yves_b 

hello, in the app i only see an icon for wifi - ie it snot specifically saying either but it "looks" like only wifi (and if it was Etrhernet I would assume a rock solid stong connection?)

Options
2023-11-28 12:13:09
I also tried using the two XE75s as the ones with the powerlines, in case it was a mixing of generations, but no avail
Options
2023-11-28 15:06:45

@DRPick If it was using Ethernet as backhaul, you would see a cable icon instead of a wifi icon.

If you display the details of a satellite, it would state wich combination of media you are using as backhaul.

I suspect that the Powerline connection is not operational.  Could you test it by connecting a device to a Deco via Powerline?

Options
2023-11-28 15:10:05

@yves_b yup tested it with a NAS and that appears on the network, so I know the Powerline is working.

I don;t see any option in the app to force it to use ethernet as backhaul 

Options
2023-11-28 19:47:45

@DRPick Are the decos is router mode or access point mode? Also if you look at the LAN IP setting in the advanced section compare that with the Internet connection setting. The subnet mask have to be the same if they aren't then your decos may not be communicating properly.

Options
2023-11-29 05:38:58

@DRPick It should use Ethernet as backhaul if it detects an Ethernet connection between two Decos.

Options
2023-12-01 08:30:16

@yves_b well good to know it SHOULD, just can't get it to actually DO ;-)

the main deco is getting the IP subnet form the router, the others are getting theirs from something else (presumably the Deco, so need to play a bit more there)

i'll have another re-org this weekend see if i can get it working within one room, then try getting it working across rest of the house

Options
2023-12-01 09:10:58

@DRPick 

There is no option in the app to force it to use Ethernet as backhaul.  Ethernet is the preferred backhaul, and will be used if the Deco detects an Ethernet connection to another Deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 293

Replies: 9

Related Articles