Practical distance for range extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-28 14:09:38
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am thinking about using the range extender to provide WiFi service to a mance, next to the church building, which has WiFi service. The mance is roughly 200 ft from the church building. I tried an extender that was available, but I lost the signal once I entered the mance.  However, I do have a RE650 extender, and the box indicates it can cover up to 14k sq ft.

Let's say it works.  How close should someone be sitting next to the extender throughout the day?  The extender can be placed on the other side of a wall, a total distance of roughly 15' from the IT equipment, and both rooms have a window, which face the mance.  I am concerned the constant exposure to the transmitter power will be deleterious to the person sitting essentially between the router and the extender.  Any thoughts on my concerns?

Thanks for your helpful feedback.

Sincerely,

John

Options
2 Reply
Re:Practical distance for range extender
2023-11-28 19:01:46

@JohnCer 

The issue here is that all of our range extenders are designed for indoor use and functionally the range outside, especially between building have factors that would really affect that maximum coverage area.  Your best option is implying an outdoor AP, like the EAP225-Outdoor.  This device not only designed for outdoor use has a maximum range greater than what you need.  

Additionally, it has the ability to Mesh with other EAP products through the controller so you could put a EAP225 (indoor ceiling mounted version) in both building and have a seamless network all over.  

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
Re:Practical distance for range extender
2023-11-28 22:07:05

@Carl 

Thanks for your feedback.  I will investigate the EAP225  device.

John

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 584

Replies: 2

Related Articles