Managing and identifying connected devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-29 16:55:11
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20231010 rel.31905

Hello.  When I look in the client list of my router, I see many connected devices however there are many that do not have a name, rather an asterik (*) or UNKNOWN.  Is there a way for me to clear all connected devices without blocking or is my only option to change the password associated with my WiFi?  Alternatively, is there a solution to relate a MAC address with a device?  I know there are devices in my home that have WiFi built in (e.g. outdoor lights), however I do not have a manner to log in and determine their MAC address.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Managing and identifying connected devices
2023-11-30 19:52:10

@MarkD73,

There are a few reasons that these devices may be appearing.

Normally, this behavior is the result of your mobile devices being connected to the network while the phone's 'Randomized MACs' or 'Private Addressing'. You will need to disable this option from your phone's and tablet's Wi-Fi settings.

You can always set an IP Reservation or MAC Binding to encourage or force your devices to connect to the network with a set IP address.

For your smart devices, the MAC address is normally listed somewhere on the device, otherwise most smart home manufacturers will provide a method to view the MAC address from within their smart home app.

You may also see devices listed as unknown if they are not properly reporting their name (common with cheaper smart devices); or can sometimes occur when traffic is passing to the network through a switch.

Options
Re:Managing and identifying connected devices
2023-12-01 21:36:15

@Riley_S 

Thanks Riley.  I do have a switch things are running through so that may very well my issue.  Appreciate the quick reply.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1363

Replies: 2

Related Articles