Archer AX6000 drops VPN Clients

2023-11-30 17:13:32
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20230906 rel.52177(5553)

I purchased this router for Black Friday and set it up on Saturday. Everything works well except that the router keeps intermittently kicking VPN Clients off the network. Mind you this is not a normal VPN like Surf Shark or Nord. This is work VPN networks like Cisco, Citrix, an ATT VPN Router and even Corporate Zoom. Basically encrypted newtworks. This is affecting both my wifes wireless and my hardwired setups for work. The whole PC doesn't loose connection, just the Clients. It also seems to be affecting my wifes cell phone periodically as well while she's on the internet. I have not had any cell phine connection issues myself.  

As I'm typing this my ethernet based work phone that is connected through the ATT VPN Router has dropped and reonnected 3 times.

My corporate Zoom connection on my personal desktop, not through the Citrix Client kept dropping audio and freezing the video intermittently.

I've been searching high and low for a fix for this and can't find one.

Eveything is connected via 5G. Smart Connect Disabled. QoS On or Off. Antivirus On or Off.

Any help appreciated.  

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer AX6000 drops VPN Clients
2023-11-30 20:32:39

@Apocryphon,

Can you provide a bit more information about how you have configured and setup your network? Such as where your ATT VPN Router comes into play vs your other VPN networks.

Is your modem/gateway in Bridge or IP Passthrough Mode?

Are you attempting to configure these VPN connections on the router, or are you simply connecting through your router? 

For your wife's phone, was this connected to a VPN or just a normal network? This could point to the behavior being outside the realm of VPN settings.

To start, I would make sure that you have reservations or MAC binding set for the devices which will use a VPN, just so there is no chance of a connection changing half way through your troubleshooting.

Since the connections drop intermittently, it sounds as though something may be blocked by your security or firewall settings. you may try changing your HomeShield or SPI Firewall settings to see if there is a change.

Options
Re:Archer AX6000 drops VPN Clients
2023-11-30 21:44:32 - last edited 2023-12-03 06:03:51

@Riley_S 

Can you provide a bit more information about how you have configured and setup your network? Such as where your ATT VPN Router comes into play vs your other VPN networks. 

* ATT Router - Spectrum Modem > TP-Link Archer AX6000 > ATT VPN Router > Plycom Ethernet Phone. That router is used strictly to encrypt the phone but is one of the devises that disconnects the most.

* My PC -  Spectrum Modem > TP-Link Archer AX6000 > Ethernet to my PC

* Wifes PC -  Spectrum Modem > TP-Link Archer AX6000 > 5G WIFI Wifes PC(s)

Is your modem/gateway in Bridge or IP Passthrough Mode? 

- I beleive IP Passthrough. Router is pretty much in basic setup mode. 

Are you attempting to configure these VPN connections on the router, or are you simply connecting through your router?

- Connecting through the router. I log into Citrix through Chrome Browser on my PC. Wifes work setup is similar.

For your wife's phone, was this connected to a VPN or just a normal network? This could point to the behavior being outside the realm of VPN settings.

- Just the normal network. She keeps saying that her instagram, facebook and tiktok won't load in particular. I was wondering if this may be more related to the Antivirus in Homecare though. I tried disabling but the issue is very intermittent on her phone and the least of my concerns currently. I mentioned it because it's similar to Zoom dropping out in the middle of meetings which we can't have happen while working.

To start, I would make sure that you have reservations or MAC binding set for the devices which will use a VPN, just so there is no chance of a connection changing half way through your troubleshooting.

- I may be using VPN a bit loosely here. We don't configure any of our PCs or Phones to specifically use a VPN. To my understanding Citrix and Cisco are VPN clients to secure networks and encrypt data being sent over the internet with private servers. Our work doesn't give us VPN settings or anything. We log in through Work Portals in web browsers. 

Since the connections drop intermittently, it sounds as though something may be blocked by your security or firewall settings. you may try changing your HomeShield or SPI Firewall settings to see if there is a change.

- It was my suspicion that this is more firewall related. I just disabled SPI Firewall and jumped in a Zoom call and the issue remains. Worked fine for about 3 minutes and then the video froze and audio dropped then I got a message that the Internet Connection is Degraded. It did eventually reconnect after about 20-30 seconds but is a major issue along with my work phone. This zoom call took place from my desktop and not through the Citrix Desktop. Although they are on the same PC. I've tried disabling the Home Care Malicious Content Filter, Intrusion Prevention System and Infected Device Quarantine but that doesn't help. We don't use Parental Control and QoS on or off doesn't help either. I don't see a HomeShield setting in the tools.

Edit 12/1/23 - As I'm looking into this more and more it appears that this is probably more related to a Packet Loss issue and not A VPN. In zoom I can see the packet loss spike to 100% and state that the internet connection is unstable and then everything freezes. Same thing is happening with my work phone.   

Edit 12/3/23 - With no reply in 48 hours I'll be returning the router. It's impossible to work with a non-functional VPN Phone and video calling due to packet loss or other issues. I really liked this router except for these faults. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 197

Replies: 2

Tags

Related Articles