Can you have too much wifi coverage?

2023-12-01 19:54:05
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just recently upgrade my X20 to the PX50 and in doing so I decided to keep a couple of the existing X20 nodes to expand coverage in my home. The initial setup was one node on the first floor and two on the second. With the extra X20 nodes, i now have four on the second floor with still only one on the first. The first floor is very open, its the second that has all the rooms with walls and such. The way I have them set is not a perfect sqare but more like an irregular triangle with one of the X20 nodes in my kids room in the corner of the house. The other is in the main bedroom and i could probably do away with that one as its pretty close to the main PX50 (less than 8ft through the walls).

I drew a crude diagram of the layout with the 3rd PX50 being marked appropriately on the 1st floor in relation to the others on the 2nd. Im just curious if i am hindering my wifi performance by saturating my house with coverage?floorplan

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can you have too much wifi coverage?
2023-12-04 14:09:57

@Darthv72 

To me, the main degradation to avoid is the usage of too many hops (intermediate Decos) on the path between a device and Internet (or between two devices).

Hence, please show who is the main Deco and how the Deco decided to interconnect among each others (and media (wifi, powerline, wifi+powerline) used between each pair).  The Decos are marketed as clever enough to make the optimal decisions about that.

Do all satellites directly connect to the main Deco?

Do devices connect to a satellite Deco while the wifi signal from the main Deco is good enough?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 125

Replies: 1

Related Articles