Firmware Version: 1.2.4

The configuration of my network is as follows:

Router - AT&T Fiber.  

All Radios are turned off

Main Router:

Deco X75 Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20230914 Rel 95662

Other Routers:

Living Room X75 Same as above, connected via Ethernet cable

Garage: Connected via WiFi (Office 2.4GHz/5 GHz) Firmware 1.7.3 Build 20230936 Rel 59213

Master Bedroom X20 Connected to Living Room (2.5 GHz/5GHz) Firmwear Version 1.1.4 Build 20230824 Rel 36341

I also have a seperate network that is all hardwired behind a pfSense Router.  There is no WiFi for this nework just a number of computers that are all connected via Ethernet. The pfSense Router is connected directly to the AT&T modem. (Main Reason I cannot set Modem to Passthrough mode).

The issue I am experiencing is exactly the same as was reported in a previous post ( Deco AXE5300/EX5300 will not connect smart devices; keeps dropping WiFi from iPhones/smart TVs) where my smart home devices keep dropping off line and will not reconnect.  I have tried both WiFi and Matter over WiFi devices and have the same issue.  I have tried multiple vendors for these devices including Gosund, Meross, VOCOlinc.  The settings on the main Deco are:

2.4 & 5 GHz Network

6Ghz Dedicated Backhaul

Primary DNS 9.9.9.9

Secondary DNS 1.1.1.1

IPTV/VLAN Disabled

MAC Clone Disabled

DDNS Disabled

Fast Roaming Disabled

Beamforming was disabled but disappeard from menu once the X20 was added to the network.

I have tried disconnecting the X20 with no joy.  I tried going through the IoT Network but I can't get my iPhone or iPad to recognize the network for me to even try to connect the devices.  Everything was working ok but the newly added devices (plugs, Christmis LED lights) fell of line yesterday and nothing I have tried has brough them back.  I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this but I have not been able to.

Any assistance would be really helpfull.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot Connect Smart Home Devices to DECO Mesh WiFi
2023-12-06 17:21:13

@calledan,

So to start, you are most likely needing to disable the 'Mesh Technology' option in the client settings, rather than your router. When this is disabled, it will prevent the network from trying to use mesh protocols to move the device - useful for devices that you know will not be actively moving around your home. Many smart devices do not expect a mesh connection and are better off with this setting disabled.

Given how you have a second router connected, i am inclined this is a major reason for the disconnect. Even if not providing Wi-Fi, it is still capable of both giving and receiving an IP address - potentially causing your router's IP and connection to periodically change.

Because you cannot enable IP Passthrough, for a stable network, you would need to configure your Decos in AP mode for the best chance.

Options
2023-12-07 01:57:18

@Riley_S I have removed the 2 Deco X75 units, activated the radios on the AT&T modem and changed the network to Access Point.  About half of the devices came back online but I still have a number of them that will not connect.  I cannot disable the Mesh Technology option because the clients will not connect to Wi-Fi.  I will replace the remaining smart home devices with either Thread or  Zigbee devices and get my smart home off the Wi-Fi.  I turned off the other network and there was no difference, nothing would connect.

Options
2023-12-08 19:55:48

@calledan,

If the devices immediately came back online when the other wi-fi was enabled, did you reconfigure the devices to use the new Wi-Fi settings? Or was it using the settings from the Wi-Fi before the Decos were added? If everything was configured correctly, you may need to reset the network settings on the remaining devices to have them reconnect. Or are they still unable to connect? 

With the Decos in AP mode, they are solely in charge of providing a wireless connection - if you are continuing to have problems after adjusting the settings in the deco app, you may consider tinkering with the settings of the pfsense - as I have seen these firewalls cause problems with IoT devices in the past.

Once the devices are able to initially connect to the network, you will be able to change the client settings - even if they are not able to stay connected.

-

On a personal note, if you have a lot of devices, your network will definitely benefit from moving your smart home to another band/router such as Sub-GHz, Z-Wave, or Zigbee - as this takes the load of all the connections off of your router. Thread devices still require either a compatible router, or border router and will often still use your Wi-Fi.

Options