Network Topology question -- does this work like I think it will

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-09 04:22:06

I have a stable Deco 3-unit environment with 3 Windows 11, 2 phones and some incidental devices.  I added 2 NAS units.  Traffic from the NAS units overwhelms the network making it unusable.  99% of the traffic is between 1 desktop PC and the NAS.

If I hardwire the PC and the 2 NAS units on a high speed switch, wire the switch to the main Deco router will I end up with all NAS traffic confined to the switch where it won't kill the entire network?

Thanks for any help

Options
3 Reply
Re:Network Topology question -- does this work like I think it will
2023-12-11 20:10:48

@GlennJ0158,

It would largely depend on how you are actually transferring files between your PC and router, such as via Samba or FTP. I believe that some file transfer protocols will still communicate through the router, but this may now even be only for the initial handshake.

If you are transferring between the two directly, it should be limited to the physical infrastructure the data passes through.

Ideally, you would try and test this with a switch taht you have laying around, as you should be able to determine the impact on your network with a simple switch.

Something you should consider if there are large amounts of data transfers occurring, you may look at other wired solutions for connecting your NAS directly to your PC, such as via USB or SATA.

Lastly, you may consider setting device priorities, as higher priorities would take the bandwidth from the NAS, ensuring that a device such as your phone or TV will have priority over the NAS for whatever it needs to do.

Options
2023-12-11 21:42:34

@GlennJ0158

Thanks for the reply.  In answer to your questions and suggestions:

Windows copy was used to populate the NAS from USB disks on the PC.  Definitely went wireless as no other choices.

The QNAP device is a NAS and will not directly connect through SATA or USB.

No spare switches but bought a 10 gbps switch for 150 and will use it elsewhere if this does not work.

Here is the proposed configuration:

-- External Internet --

|

-- Xfinity cable box -- claims 100 mb/s

|

-- Deco S4 Router -- claims 2.5 GbE Direct connect, no claim for wireless

|    \

|    1 gbps x 8 switch Claims 10 gbps per port

|                       |

Wireless Net         NAS (2.5 GbE) and PC (1 gbps) to switch

:

All other devices (effective rate around 15 GB/S)

The target PC and NAS have no wireless connections so all traffic has to enter the switch.  Should be no reason for NAS to PC traffic to leave the switch. NAS to other devices will be wireless but the volume is trivial and happens off-hours.

Options
2023-12-11 21:44:52

@GlennJ0158 

Device priorities is a good idea I hadn't considered.  Will figure out how and make the NAS and my computer lower than the phones and my wife's computer.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 313

Replies: 3

Related Articles