New confused user with questions

2023-12-14 05:48:29
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

Hi all,

I'm a networking newbie with several questions.  I recognize that many of these are RTFM questions so pointing me to the relevant document(s) would be helpful and will hopefully take less time than formulating an answer.

I have the Deco s4 with a main base and two satellite units. The system has been operational for about a year and totally satisfactory. I'm in the process of adding 2 NAS units to the network and this has caused some serious network availability issues.  I'm trying to learn enough to resolve the problems before my patient wife kills me.  There are 3 computer, 2 phones, 2 NAS units and some IOT connected. I am changing the network topology to cable the computer which uses the NAS and both NAS units into a switch. The switch then connects directly to a Deco unit using an Ethernet cable.

1) Is there a way to tell what Deco unit a specific device is connected to?  A better approach might be to list the devices connected to each Deco.

2) Is there a way to tell how much load is coming from each device? Preferable a way to track the traffic over time to a chart or graph.  If part of the problem is two or more devices demanding too much bandwidth concurrently there may be a way to schedule around the problem.

3) What does it mean when the tp-link software reports cpu at 100% (varies in real time from 20% to 100% but sits at 100% a lot) and memory around 50%? Does this mean the router is saturated?

4) The Deco has a "wireless" and "guest" with both 2.5 and 5 GHz frequencies and multiple channels.  Will locating devices on separate frequencies and splitting them between the Wireless and Guest help overall throughput?

5) Can I set device priority so that Computer A and the two phones are always able to get bandwidth quickly regardless of what Computer B is doing? I think the network performance issue is B hogging bandwidth when using the NAS.

6) The NAS devices cables directly into the Deco main or satellite units.  If there is virtually no traffic between the NAS and the Internet is there any advantage in plugging into the main or a satellite unit?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed.  I found answers to some of the questions but they specifically referenced different products (not S4) and seemed to be very version specific. 

Regards

Glenn

Options
3 Reply
Re:New confused user with questions
2023-12-14 16:45:20

@GlennJ0158 

I believe none of those answers are specific to the model/version of the Deco.

Options
2023-12-14 21:38:36

@yves_b Thaks for the reply.  The discussion I found was from an M4 user and concerned the differences between V1 and V2 of the hardware. There was back and forth about the features being available in V1 and perhaps not in V2. This prompted an explosion fron the initial user.  I don't recall seeing any discussion about how to use the potentially available feature.  I will go back and look more carefully since it may apply to me.

Options
2023-12-14 21:44:00

@GlennJ0158 The answers I found are for items 1 & 2 above.  Haven't figured out the right keywords to find answers to the rest.

I will report back with information on my topology change but it appears that it should work.  It also appears that hard-wiring the Deco units together with Cat 6 or better cabling will speed overall network response. This includes both the wire and the connectors. The system operates at the speed of the slowest part.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 132

Replies: 3

Related Articles