Archer AX55 Keeps Disconnecting Randomly

2023-12-15 10:07:06
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have been facing this issue for a very long time now and I read all the other threads of people having the same problem. The internet works just fine but every time I'm on my PS5 or any other game for sometime it just decides to disconnect and throw me out of the match and most of the time I end up with penalties because of it. This happens to me with every game I play on every device. I could play fine for an hour or two but then it randomly disconnects me once or twice. I have already updated my router to latest version and even did a factory reset but the problem is still there. My Archer AX55 is connected to my main router through a cable. I thought the issue point be in my main router but it's not. If I keep playing on the main router then there's no disconnect at all. This issue only happens if I use the Archer to connect my other devices. I also tried wifi and cable and both methods still disconnect me randomly.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer AX55 Keeps Disconnecting Randomly
2023-12-18 06:25:25

@LeeYan 

Hi, since the Archer AX55 is connected to your main router, may I know if you are using AX55 as router mode or AP mode?

If it is still on AP mode, please try configuring it as AP mode to see if it fixes the issue(Case 1): How to configure the TP-Link wireless router as Access Point

By the way, when you are not playing the game, it always works fine and stable, right?

Options
2023-12-18 07:17:10
I already tried configuring Access Point modes and it was still doing the same thing. My problem is not that it works fine if I'm not playing, almost anything will stop for half a second and then resume but this can be noticed a lot in games, streams and sometimes even voice calls.
Options
2023-12-21 11:29:43

@LeeYan 

I have seen this too on my AX55, but oddly only on ONE PC?

Wife's PC, using a USB AC wireless adapter. On W10 Pro...  she'll be surfing and randomly get a 404 page error. Look at the Systray and it was a globe, and then almost immediately become the wifi icon? Reload page and it works... and I'm sure it happened other times too. Never seemed to be the same web page and did hit it a few times fetching email as well. Never enough times to be a major concernt.

I verified she was up to date OS wise and had the latest device driver... never solved the problem and it is quite random in terms of frequency.

I am sure it is her PC that is the problem? Why? Because my PC doesn't have that problem. Also wifi, but using AX speed (both of us connect to 5Ghz) and on W11 if that matters.

iPhone and iPads don't have the problem, although her's does in some specific applications which report no connection but the wifi icon is one and other applications work fine?

Sort of suggested to me a DNS error more that a router connection error?

So, one of my older PC's that was decommissioned had an AX speed USB device, and I put it on her PC... and in the short time it was on in use, no complaints?

Probably doesn't help you much, other than I've seen it, but I don't think this is a true AX55 problem either?

Options
2023-12-21 11:39:21

@IrvSp

I reached out to my internet provider service and told them about the problem and they asked me write down the time when it was disconnecting and I did that every time it disconnected. They monitored my network and found no drop in internet whatsoever and asked me to try and use a cable that goes from my main router and all the way to my PS5 and when I tried that it never disconnected for a whole day. If my PS5 or any other console (This includes Switch, PS4 etc) is connected through AX55, it will always disconnect randomly for some reason and it's annoying. Sometimes I would be in a voice chat and sharing my screen and it would disconnect me from the voice chat but still shows me what I'm sharing or what the other person is sharing. I don't really know what causes it to disconnect for a second.

Options
2023-12-21 23:11:49 - last edited 2023-12-22 01:14:32

@LeeYan I am having this same 6+ months long issues with the Archer AX-55 as well. Done all the necessary steps - made sure in router mode not AP, updated to most recent firmware, tried various configurations, tried both WAN 2.5 or 1 GB ports, tried Smart Connect both on and off, separated the 2.5Ghz and 5GHz radio broadcast, tried different channels and combined them, disabled Guest network, disabled EasyMesh, rebooted ISP fiber box, read through several suggested tips and still the same network drops. In addition, I also worked with my ISP with no indication it's their side.

It's been frustrating to say the least and am tempted to just scrap this router entirely to the bin and go with a different brand and product altogether. The AX55 was slated a a NYTimes Wirecutter best WIFi router for 2023 but I am now questioning their testing standards.

Any solid known working tips or a possible firmware update? Otherwise, will need to shop around before the current holiday deals expire.

Device details

Firmware Version:
1.2.2 Build 20230803 rel.35127(5553)
Hardware Version:
Archer AX55 Pro v1.0

Edit: fixed spellings

Options
2024-01-04 09:49:52

I am having exactly the same issue - worked fine for a day after plugging it in. Now disconnects continually - running in AP mode connected to my main Archer AX6000, internet working fine in the rest of the house when connected to AX6000

Options
2024-01-05 23:06:28

Follow up.

To get my trusty old Mid 2010 Mac Book Pro (runs like a champ still after replacing batteries BTW) on some level of reliable WiFi connectivity, I purchased a TP-Link Nano USB WiFi adapter AC1300. This works great and resolved the issue for just the one device.

However, my family's iPhones are always dropping and are constantly having connectivity issues with a pop up dialogue box asking to use cellular or keep trying WiFi. In addition, I have a Windows 10 work laptop that is now dropping VPN way too intermittently. Unfortunately, I cannot install my own hardware on the work laptop or I would try the nano USB wifi adapter above. I continued experimenting with other internet suggested configurations like lowering to non DFS channels on 5ghz, various bandwidths for close city environments and a few other configurations too many to name here and I am still experiencing issues.

Truly disappointed with wasted time and at a lost efforts, I've decided to scrap the device entirely and sell on Craigslist since I am way past the return to seller point. And when I looked to post on Craigslist, there were already 4 of the very same AX-55 routers for sale in my area at very low seller competitive prices! Other end users are possibly discovering the same issues and are just getting rid of these routers similarly.

I helped a friend set up a Ubiquiti (5 stars!) WiFi system for a small business and should have used the same for my home since I was so impressed with that system. So I am moving on with Ubiquiti after so many attempts with the AX-55. Note that I've used my iPhone, work laptop and old Mac Book Pro with no issues on my friend's Ubiquiti system as a test with zero issues. This was an all day test on numerous days.

However, I do want to note that the TP-Link Nano USB WiFi adapter AC1300 is a great piece of hardware. TP-Link is generally renown to generate great consumer network devices but missed the mark with the Archer AX55. I am still at a lost how this device received the NYTimes Wirecutter best WiFi router (as of Aug 2023) given the number of troubled forum posts here, Reddit and beyond identifying the same issues.

Though I know many seemed to have overcome challenges with this device, good luck to others experiencing the same issues I've had and hopefully you'll have more success than me. Cheers.

Options
2024-03-15 18:34:46 - last edited 2024-03-15 18:35:36

I just bought a AX3000 Archer AX55, and only run a few items off it , and my new laptop takes 5 min to connect sometimes. And im only 6 feet from the router. And i tried a new modem to which didnt help. Everything is updated . My 8 year old trusty Linksys never lets me down whan i was using that..

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 669

Replies: 8

Related Articles