DHCP address in use...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DHCP address in use...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
DHCP address in use...
DHCP address in use...
2023-12-29 16:48:00
Tags: #DHCP
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:
I had this error (DHCP Address in use ...) on my Windows machines this command disables the ARP check and DHCP address lookup is much faster

Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceAlias "Ethernet Laptop" -AddressFamily IPv4 -DadTransmits 0

Note this disables address in use so can be problematic in “other” networks. I have a DHCP address reservation for this device. Substitute your adaptor name for "Ethernet Laptop"

Run in elevated cmd prompt.

Options
3 Reply
Re:DHCP address in use...
2023-12-31 10:16:23

@ThomasMockridge 

When does this error occurs?

Were you executing a specific action?

Options
2024-01-02 12:07:15

@yves_b 

It happens on every DHCP query so the DHCP allocation takes a few minutes to resolve to a new address... Which in my case is the same address. As I use DHCP reservations,

Options
2024-01-05 05:07:02

You can see the error if you run "ipconfig /renew" before you are reconnected to Wifi. Then the Windows arp probe gives address in use error. It is probably due to an incorrect reply to the arp request to the Deco - address is not in use yet (But was, so is still cached) This command avoids the incorrect arp response or waiting a few minites for the Deco to expire the cache entry in the arp table.

This issue is not limited to TPLink many routers have this issue (Even older Cisco devices!)

Options