RE705X and ethernet backhaul

2024-01-09 16:53:06
Model: RE705X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

I have a pair of AX80 succesfully running in EasyMesh with ethernet backhaul and recently got my hand on a RE705X to play with it so it replaced the second unit of AX80.

Current position of RE is balcony, rather away from main AX80, getting red led on wifi connection signal because of poor signal. However, near it is an ethernet port which I used for the 2nd AX80 to establish Easy Mesh (AX80 is connected to a switch TL-SG108E, distributing wires in entire home, acting as a dumb switch, no vlans or other fancy stuff).

In the AX80 web menu, RE705X appears as part of EM, connected via wire (975Mbps, no idea why it isn't 1000Mbps), however with a weird IP 192.168.0.254 - my AX80 serves IP in 192.168.88.x class, while for RE I setup a static lease for 192.168.88.3 

Maybe this, maybe the lack of signal, maybe something else, however internet functionality via RE is chaotic; sometimes it works, full speed (I have 1000/25 from ISP, I can get these speeds), sometimes I only get 200/25 and sometimes there's no internet connection via RE. 

I don't want to move the RE closer, I want to use its ethernet port as an ethernet backhaul; it is capable of doing this in AP mode (however, no support for EM atm, afaik) while in repeater mode it seems to be able to do it however with major hiccups.

Any ideas how to solve this? An ETA on a firmware supporting ethernet backhaul? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:RE705X and ethernet backhaul
2024-01-09 21:08:34

@AllexRo 

If the RE is receiving poor Wi-Fi signal from the Archer AX80 at its current location, that would certainly contribute to an erratic or poor extended network connection.

Under the current circumstances, your best bet would be to configure the RE705X in AP Mode, connecting it to your LAN via Ethernet cable, and assigning it the same SSID and password as the AX80 using the Tether app.

While this isn't a perfect substitute for your preferred setup of EasyMesh with Ethernet Backhaul, it should at least provide a more stable Wi-Fi coverage experience than the existing configuration.

Options
Re:RE705X and ethernet backhaul
2024-01-10 10:43:46

@Ryan, yes, indeed that would solve the issue, kind of. Lack of EasyMesh would me lack of seamless roaming and that hurts..

What puzzles me is that RE sometimes insists on using the Wifi is linked to (hence the low speeds or no internet), sometimes it uses ethernet backhaul (hence the close to 1000/25 speeds), although a normal behaviour should be that IF ethernet connected (or selected in the Tether app as source), then stay on Ethernet.  

I hope the next firmware solves this issues; btw, an ETA on the firmware supporting ethernet backhaul for RE705X?

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 338

Replies: 2

Related Articles