Fun(?) with switches. A question about setting up a network with ethernet, wifi and Decos.

Fun(?) with switches. A question about setting up a network with ethernet, wifi and Decos.

2024-01-18 17:28:12
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20230522 Rel. 68968

I'm setting up my home network and am hoping for a little more guidance than what is offered in the FAQ.  I was thinking to hardwire my decos, work computers and some other stuff and have a couple of satellites scattered throughout the house. I would like to support not only wifi but extend the ethernet capability as well, since I only have so many jacks in each room. 

The modem is a modem/router and I have turned off the router feature and am using the passthrough via instructions I found on this forum because my network right now is purely wifi. My main Deco is set as the router.

In my diagram, all three decos are wired directly to the modem. The modem goes to a switch and I will hardwire what I can through the switch. Is this possible? Does this make sense? Would I just need to make the main deco an AP to make this work? What if I need to attach another switch along the way in one of my rooms that doesn't have enough jacks?

Should I be allowed to build my own home network? No

Do I like a good challenge? Yes

Is my brain melting? Absolutely

network diagram

Options
3 Reply
Re:Fun(?) with switches. A question about setting up a network with ethernet, wifi and Decos.
2024-01-19 00:37:58

@3dots If you are not planning to use the router functions of your modem, then you would want to connect the first deco to the modem directly via ethernet. Then run another ethernet cable from that main deco to your switch. From the switch you want to run to the other deco locations. This way all the decos are connected to the main through the switch. And each deco has additional ethernet ports if you want to attach devices directly through them in addition to connecting devices to the main switch as well.

you will be able to tell if the decos are in ethernet backhaul mode via the app. you need to establish the wireless backhaul first, just to ensure they can talk to each other. Then switch things over to ethernet where you can.

Options
Re:Fun(?) with switches. A question about setting up a network with ethernet, wifi and Decos.
2024-01-19 10:34:31

@Darthv72 Indeed, when the Deco is setup as a Router, one Ethernet port of the main Deco must be used exclusively to connect to Internet.  Other Deco and all local devices must be accessible via the other Ethernet port(s) of the main Deco, or via wifi.

Options
2024-01-19 13:15:42

@yves_b Thanks! I haven't messed with it yet but am going to try today. If I screw it up, I'll be back :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 160

Replies: 3

Related Articles