Real World Speeds on AV1300

2024-01-31 22:52:18
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: wpa8631pv3_us-up-ver3-0-1-P1-20220401-rel56761-APPLC

I've seen the articles on internal vs real data rates & such from TP-Link.  I'm just looking to see if this is good/bad/ugly on average.  Should I be happy and move on or can this be improved.  Both are plugged into dedicated sockets with nothing else on that node.  Otehr devices may be on the same circuit at another outlet but I am limited there within range of teh entertainment center. 

I have a 2 story home and the Base unit / Gateway is on teh 2nd floor.  The AC/Wifi extender is on the 1st,  at the entertainment center.  As shown below,  I get just over 420 mbps power line link between the two...  

7eedbe60bd8b4ca889310779c2a03e2e

I have a PC connected via Ethernet port to both the Upper and lower units.  When I do a large file transfer between them, with no other known traffic,  I'm seeing around 170 mbps.  Shown below.  Is this realistic for most folks?  Can this be better in this situation?  

Thanks

e5644a93f28f4b12839d6257d5eab483

Options
2 Reply
Re:Real World Speeds on AV1300
2024-02-01 19:10:59

@Ranmaniac,

Based on your link rate, then the client device speed would be average, if not above what should be expected.  It is typical to see only 30-60% of the throughput offered by your link rate.

Do you know that your powerline devices are on the same circuit? If the data has to travel through your breaker, your signal will be drastically affected in terms of both latency and throughput due to the distance the data must travel on your powerlines.

As this is the expected performance for your link rate, I think your best bet is simply to test if the link rate improves when you move the adapters around your home, or remove devices from your powerlines. You may be surprised at what devices can cause interference.

Unfortunately, upgrading to a higher powerline rating is not an option if you want to use the adapters you already have. (All Powerline adapters in a network will adopt the maximum speed of the slowest adapter)

If you are looking to use the connection for higher-bandwidth applications, then you might consider looking at a mesh solution, as they do not suffer the same performance falloff seen with Powerline and Range Extenders but allow a strong wireless backhaul to be established between mesh nodes.

Options
Re:Real World Speeds on AV1300
2024-02-01 19:21:00

@Ranmaniac 

Funny enough,  I moved the downstairs unit to an outlet only 6 ft away from the base unit and it only increased my throughput to 500 mbps...  So I guess I cant complain about the 400 mbps, all the way downstairs.  I really dont have any options to move outlets becauswe they feed desks and entertainment systems that I really dont want to re-arrange.  

Streaming applications work great on all fronts, with these speeds.  I guess I was just trying to make better use of my 300 mbps ISP connection.

I suppsoe my next step would be to try and arrange the breakers that feed each to be right next to each other in the breaker box but I'm not getting a good feeling about that sinve it only increased to 500 mbps,  only 6 ft away.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 196

Replies: 2

Related Articles