C110 Motion Event Cooldown too long

2024-02-08 06:04:56 - last edited 2024-02-08 06:07:37
Model: Tapo C110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.11 Build 231117

I believe the firmware was upgraded recently and it now appears there is a 7 minute cooldown between motion events. Motion event recordings are also no longer than 2 minutes at a time. This is easily apparent when browsing recordings on the local SD card. There coudl be constant motion in front of the camera but with this configuration there could be 5 minute gaps of recordings.

I could have sworn prior to the firmware update motion events could be indefinitely long or at least longer than 2 minutes. I also feel like motion detection was much more reliable and had little to no cooldown. I could rely somewhat on motion events to trigger lights in the garage with motion.

Now I completely miss the beginning of some events. For example, I have a camera set up in a garage and I dont even have recordings of the garage door opening. I have recordings that start with the car already parked inside the garage and the occupants inside the house. Please revert the firmware or improve motion detection in a future release.

For background I also have Shinobi NVR receiving ONVIF detection events and recording the RTSP stream.

Options
3 Reply
Re:C110 Motion Event Cooldown too long
2024-02-10 20:47:27 - last edited 2024-02-10 20:49:26

No response from TPLink? the cameras are basically useless as a security monitoring device. 

Opened my garage door, walked through to get to my mailbox outside, walked back in and the camera failed to capture anything until after I was already inside the house. The camera is set to the highest sensitivity and the activity zone is the entire picture. However it does successfully capture false positives in the middle of the night. It is completely unreliable. Can the firmware be rolled back?

Really strange behavior too. The camera triggers Shinobi NVR to record presumably over ONVIF about 5 minutes after I close my garage door, completely missing me opening the garage door, retrieving my mail, and closing the garage door. However on SD card it doesnt even register an event during that time period.

Options
2024-02-12 18:15:43
I also have this issue. I use Scrypted NVR and by default, it logs events using the on board camera motion detection. My events are spaced out every 7 minutes. This is aligned with what Tapo records to the SD card. This is way too long of a cooldown period. I have switched Scrypted NVR to use software motion events, but this puts more strain on my server. I'm hopeful a new firmware release will allow a shorter cooldown period.
Options
2024-02-12 20:11:01

Some interesting behavior I noticed as well. I recently started blocking the cameras from the internet since i record locally to NVR anyway. 

1. Time can go out of sync easily if the camera's power is interrupted. The cameras must be connected to the internet to sync time. This seems to also impact the triggering of motion events in Shinobi somehow if the time is out of sync.

2. With the internet disconnected from the camera, motion events are detected and recorded for up to ~2 minutes on SD Card even though constant motion is in front of the camera. 

3. With the internet connection restored, time syncs instantly and the motion events at least on SD card can exceed 2 minutes up till the cooldown limit is reached.

Seems like there's a hidden dependency on internet for these to fully function which is another concern.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 249

Replies: 3

Related Articles