Frequent, short disconnects/drops

2024-02-18 22:01:52 - last edited 2024-02-18 22:44:14
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20230522 Rel. 68968

I have 3 Deco X55s in my house. The primary one is attached directly to my cable modem upstairs (the modem is just a modem -- it has no router capabilities). The other two are connected to the main router via wired backhaul. I have 2 SSIDs, one main (5 GHz/2.4 GHz) and one as the Guest Network for my IoT devices (2.4 GHz only).

Throughout the day, I'm getting random disconnects. Usually these drops are very short -- typically no more than a second -- but it's enough of a disruption to cause downloads to fail, end video calls, etc. Currently I have 2 machines running 24/7; one is my personal desktop (connected to the main router over 5 GHz), and the other is a HTPC in the living room (connected to one of the backhauled Decos over Cat5). These 2 machines are running PingInfoView, hitting both the main Deco's IP and Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) once per second, so I can get a picture of network health (internal vs. external, wired vs. wireless). In the last hour, my desktop has logged 8 times where it couldn't reach the Deco and 7 times where it couldn't reach Google's DNS. The HTPC unfortunately was not running PingInfoView because it was reset after a system update, so I can't compare this most recent spurt of errors, but in general it records few if any drops. This leads me to believe that there is an issue specifically with the wireless.

Fast Roaming and Beamforming are both disabled. I switched the 5 GHz band back down to 80 MHz channel width to see if that would improve stability as well. QoS is not enabled. My wife's work laptop usually connects over 2.4 GHz and she reports network issues as often as I notice them.

I have attached logs from the router. The recent failed pings occurred around 16:27:51, 16:27:59, and 16:28:04, so the logs start right around when these issues cropped up. Happy to provide any additional information as needed. Thanks in advance.

File:
log-2024-02-18.zipDownload
Options
10 Reply
Re:Frequent, short disconnects/drops
2024-02-18 22:59:11 - last edited 2024-02-19 12:58:40

@n0ech I am having the the exact same problem with my three XE75 Pro's. Short drops. Just enough to have downloads fail or phones switch to 5G for a couple of seconds. It's very annoying. i have tried to disable all kinds of things but the problem remains. if I reboot the whole system it works well for a couple of days, then the drops creep back in. 

I have no idea what may be causing this, but I've seen it on all the three firmware versions I have been running. This is the only problem I have with the Deco's. Speed, performance and latency is very good. It would be awesome to find out what is causing this and have it fixed.

Options
2024-02-20 00:31:00

@TP-Link

Bumping this for visibility. Apologies in advance if this is frowned upon.

Options
2024-03-05 22:32:39

@n0ech I too have been fighting this issue with our x55s. I upgraded the firmware 1.5 - 2 weeks ago to 1.4.x and started experiencing this issue (that seems to differ from your experience though). The issue happens on WiFi or ethernet, causes dropped calls for work, etc. I've tried looking through the logs, but nothing stuck out to me (admittedly, not sure what some log items mean or if they are/n't cause for concern).

I've tried the following:

1. Rebooting X55s, switches, modem
  2. Swapping ethernet cables everywhere
  3. Factory resetting 2 of the 3 units (will try the main unit soon)
  4. Upgrading firmware on the switches
  5. Upgrading to beta firmware for the x55s (1.5.x) 
  6. Eliminating/swapping switches
  7. Reterminating our wall keystones

The next thing I'm going to try is to run my network on just one deco that I know wasn't involved with any of the issues and see what happens.

Options
2024-03-06 00:26:30 - last edited 2024-03-07 15:03:09

@tyler-b I've mostly mitigated the issue by disabling mesh mode for all of the PCs that don't move (EDIT: and forcing their affinity onto the appropriate device). I still get occasional drops but they're much less frequent now. I think that the more devices that use mesh mode, and the more bandwidth they consume, the greater the incidence of the drops, at least on my network.

Options
2024-03-06 00:29:22

@n0ech Similar issue happening with my X55 which is updated to the latest firmware. It's happening with both wired and wireless devices, they are still connected to the network and according to the Deco app everything seems fine but all devices randomly lose internet for several minutes. I've confirmed it's not an internet issue, when my hard-wired AppleTV is connected to the Deco it drops along with everything else but when it's hard-wired directly to my modem/router it continues working when all wireless devices on the Deco drop. The issue was happening several times a day with my X55 Pro and after trying everything with the settings I finally returned it and got a regular X55 thinking maybe I just got a bad device, but within an hour of setting up the new device it's happening with this one too.

Options
2024-03-06 12:26:08

suddenimpact wrote

@n0ech Similar issue happening with my X55 which is updated to the latest firmware. It's happening with both wired and wireless devices, they are still connected to the network and according to the Deco app everything seems fine but all devices randomly lose internet for several minutes. I've confirmed it's not an internet issue, when my hard-wired AppleTV is connected to the Deco it drops along with everything else but when it's hard-wired directly to my modem/router it continues working when all wireless devices on the Deco drop. The issue was happening several times a day with my X55 Pro and after trying everything with the settings I finally returned it and got a regular X55 thinking maybe I just got a bad device, but within an hour of setting up the new device it's happening with this one too.

@suddenimpact As you say it's not an Internet issue, but it could be an issue between modem and the Deco. I'm fact, that's the most likely scenario all things considered. It would be helpful to see if anything if added to the logs when this happens. 

Options
2024-03-06 14:33:10

@n0ech I am having the same problem, but just with one of the nodes. I can see it power cycling. I just installed them a few days and updated to the latest firmware. Last night, my son mentioned that he couldn't get a stable connection on his XBox. I checked the node on his floor and saw that it was rebooting. Checked with the Deco app and saw that it was not connected. Then it connected and I saw it shut down and turn back on, connect and start all over again. Had to power it down. Luckily, the WiFi signal from the floor below was strong enough for a connection.

Options
2024-03-27 13:28:12

@n0ech 

I am having the same issue with my X75 deco- I reran ethernet cables and had my cable line totally redone for the house (since we dont have cable anymore just internet) With all of the old cable line on splitters I thought maybe a splitter went bad. Now its from the cable box outside directly to the modem. I still get drops. Any solutions? I have been in contact with tech support since January still no resolve.

Options
2024-03-27 13:44:03

@beerdom My previous comment is as close to a solution as I've found. Disabling mesh mode for immobile PCs and forcing their affinity onto the closest Deco, and disabling beamforming and fast roaming, have minimized the disconnects.

Options
2024-03-27 14:20:11

@n0ech 

Thats the first thing tech supprt had me do- still no fix. So disapoinnting

Options