XE75Pro

XE75Pro

XE75Pro
XE75Pro
2024-02-27 21:41:58

I'm thinking of upgrading my current Orbi RBR50 mesh router and its 2 satellites with the Deco XE75 Pro -3 pack.

• I have 1GB fiber ethernet service via Planet Networks POE and currently hard wire one part of the older 3 level 3000 sq ft property and Wi-Fi connect most of it - hence the use of  satellites. Orbi RBR50 is basically AC3000 (1733+866+400Mbps) so I'm hoping for some speed and range increase.
  • We use Apple iPhones and iPads, so Wi-Fi 7 is not currently worth the extra $$ investment. 
  • I note all XE75 Pro units are the same and it seems a shame to me that there is only single 2.5 GHz WAN/LAN port and two 1GHz LAN ports - I need 4 ports for one unit for my existing Cat 6 wiring and assume that I will not get any issues by adding using a 4 port unmanaged switch. 

Anyone have experience with XE75Pro and adding a switch?

Thanks

Options
8 Reply
Re:XE75Pro
2024-02-27 23:58:37

Hey @BritG1,

I would be more than happy to help provide some insights:

As for your concern for Wi-fi 7 vs Wi-Fi 6E, I would recommend keeping it in consideration for a few reasons:

1 - Your Apple Devices will be able to take advantage of the features of Wi-Fi 7 that were also supported on Wi-Fi 6E.

2 - Since you have a wireless backhaul, you will see a significant increase in performance with Wi-Fi 7 due to the ability of the nodes to communicate with each other using Wi-Fi 7 technology such as 4KQAM and MLO (I have seen 8.9Gbps wireless backhauls from early adopters)

For your switch,

Decos will have no problem working with a switch, especially unmanaged. We even have PoE Decos, which would require their ethernet connection to pass through a switch. Most users place a switch after their main node to give wired connections to their satellite nodes. From there, small switches can also be added to the satellite decos to expand the number of wired connections available.

Finally,

All of our Decos do work together, meaning that you can connect any model of Deco together and they will do their best to create a mesh network based on the technology and features available between the two.

This means that you could consider setting a powerful Deco as your main, and then adding smaller/lesser nodes for satellites since they will only be handling a portion of your network traffic, compared to the main. This is the same technology that allows for the addition of PoE and Outdoor Decos to existing setups.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Options
2024-03-03 23:21:20

@Riley_S 

Thanks for your reply.I just installed the Deco XE75 Pro 3 unit system and I’m basically impressed, especially compared to my previous Netgear mesh system, but with some questions.

As mentioned my internet service is 1Gps from Planet Network, I would say overall performance especially latency has improved, here are some comments & questions.

1. There is one 2.5 Gbps port on each unit - I went with Pro in case a supplier later offered higher speed speeds, but since the other ports are 1Gbps sharing high speed service via Cat 6 wiring (which I have) is negated, that seems to be an issue.
  2. Rather than 3 identical units it would be beneficial for at least one unit to have 2 or more 2.5gps ports. That is unless the back haul mesh has more performance than I suspect.
  3. What is the speed capability of the backhaul system?
  4. On initial setup I used wired signal to one satellite. On the overview display it showed that unit with chain sign, I assume confirming wired link.  The other unit was wi-fi "great" signal.
  5. This morning the link sign to the satellite is gone, and both units are showing on Wi-Fi and medium signal strength. All units are still green. What has changed? 
  6. I only have 40 clients connected, viewing the master and satellite units, I see the wired link signal to the correct devices. Just not to the satellite in the overview that is hard wired. I would make no comment except the Wi-Fi signal strength is now shown Medium to both satellites.
  7. As a minor point, the individual units show greater download and upload traffic than the overall system. Could that just a quirk of the app?

Any comments are appreciated.

Options
2024-03-04 19:33:07

Hey @BritG1,

1 - While it is being split, it is not often that you need to take advantage of the entire bandwidth on one device at once. The additional bandwidth will actually help provide stability to your network since the satellites can easily share the total bandwidth. Multiple devices using resources can still technically reach that 2.5Gbps WAN connection limit.

2- All the units in a system are identical, and this is why we try to make it easy to upgrade a single node of your network. For example, some users have looked at adding a single Wi-Fi 7 node so that their main node has additional processing power to handle the 4 multigig connections. 

3 - Your backhaul performance can vary widely, depending on interference, range, and connection type. A wired connection will be able to achieve speeds much closer to the limit of your backhaul connection, meaning ethernet cables can potentially provide up to 1Gbps of throughput when connecting a 1G port to a 2.5G port.

4/5 - The decos backhaul will automatically switch connection methods if something happens to the wired connection. There are a few things that could cause it to switch away from a wired connection, but to troubleshoot we would need to know more about your network configuration/infrastructure. Replugging the ethernet cable or rebooting the Deco should force the device to reconfigure its backhaul.

6- We have seen some devices not report this properly and optimizations are always being made. What devices are showing the behavior? You should also consider running the network optimization tool, as it should help to optimize the wireless connections of your network.

7 - I believe the in-app speeds are calculations based on the network traffic within your mesh. For an accurate speed test, you would need to perform an internet speed test through another provider, while you are using a device wired to your network (preferably directly to the main node).

Options
2024-03-06 16:33:53

@Riley_S 

To your comments:

1, 2 & 3 - Not sure you understood my point. With only one 2.5Gbps port, all HW satellites are limited to 1Gbps irrespsective of available internet speed. It also means that internal HW networks are speed limited. 2 or more high speed ports per Deco would be better.

4 & 5 - Yes wired backhaul should be superior, I'm checking my wiring now, this is how it's setup.

1a3f8e90efed475ba3ce313d2e4e0bf5

As you see the feed to the 2nd deco that no longer shows HW is poor, and even worse if HW is disconnected.

The cable from the same main Deco to the PC via a switch has excellent speed.

Replugging, rebooting and changing the ports over makes no difference to the problem.

I guess a next step once cable is resolved to be fine, is to swap out the satelittes, unless you have another suggestion?

6. Optimize network report all is perfect......  Turning off or on QoS has no impact. The basic small issue is that overview shows little traffic whereas the detailed deco view shows higher levels of traffic.

7.  Using Ookla Speed test gives the following results:

- HW Wired PC 950mps DN 961Up Ping 2 way 3

- On a laptop using Wi-Fi (connected to master) is shows  121 DN 742 UP and 2 way ping as  17.  A 2nd run 5 secs later shows 472 DN 842 Up 2 way ping 3

- Problem PC - NO internet, although a TV HW connected to the same satelitte was working earlier.

Yes, wating for a better wiring tester to be delivered.

What  PC laptop Wi-Fi signal tester do you recommend - the subject TV should be in range of the Main unit.

thanks

Options
2024-03-06 17:25:21 - last edited 2024-03-06 17:25:34

@BritG1,

Real Quick, are you using your Decos in AP Mode?

If not, your diagram would indicate that you have two routers on your network. You need to have the traffic for your PC and switch pass through the main network.

Either your Main Deco and Switch are fighting to use the IP address from your ISP, or the devices on the main network will be having to pass through two layers of NAT - which could significantly impact multiple parts of your network, let alone the devices connected through the switch.

Ideally, you will place the Planet Network Gateway in IP Passthrough or Bridge Mode. Then you can pass all traffic through the main Deco node and all devices will be a part of the same network. Typically, you will only want to use one of the ports on your ISP Gateway, even if multiple are available.

Otherwise, you would want to leave your ISP Gateway As-Is, Instead changing the operation mode of your Decos to AP Mode, but you would lose a significant amount of features.

Options
2024-03-06 22:53:16

@Riley_S 

Oops, sorry that was a mistake.

Try this.

2f607c4ec86341f990c3cab4c2a823af

My new tester found a broken wire which I will fix tonight hopefully.

This is what I see now on my overview. The cable (HW) to the deco is not connected.

What is interesting is that that the problem area (Deco workshop) is now showing a stronger Wi-Fi  backhaul signal than deco bedroom that is a lot closer.

Last night the connection was 1 bar i.e. far worse HW connected or not.

ae5c359e474a47d199d75f4d77a75c3a

I'll check further when I have a good wire connection to the workshop. Thats my Server PC location and the TP-Link AC 600 USB wi-Fi I'm using temp. has poor speed even in the same room as the satelitte. 

Options
2024-03-13 16:01:13

@Riley_S 

OK, I fixed my cable termination issues and now have Wi-Fi fully operational and 1Gbps via hard wiring from the Deco units and HW showing to one Deco.

I still see strange inconsistancies about data flow between the overall summary and individual satellite information, but that could just be the app.

Some simple questions:

1. Is there a better way than screen shots, to print out the devices connected to the different Deco units?
  2. There are only 2 iPhones and 2 iPads in the household, but Deco shows several "phones" on each unit. 
  3. Any suggested methods to identify what the devices actually are?
    1. I guess I could isolate the device and see what stops working, but finding the MAC address on some hardware is not easy.

Thanks.

John

Options
2024-03-15 00:35:27

Hey @BritG1,

Glad to hear you have it all connected and working.

Unfortunately, there is no current way to export the IP or Device list from the Deco App. Keep in mind at a per-unit level, that your devices will move between the nodes as the connection quality changes, the device moves, or interference is introduced.

The Decos do have a minimal WebUI, essentially to view network information. It has been a while since I have been in the WebUI, but I believe that there should be a client list there. In the past, users have copied and pasted from the webpage into an Excel sheet to make the process a bit easier.

How to Log into the Web-Based UI on Deco

Multiple Devices—The client list is built using the list of devices' MAC Addresses. Most mobile phones and tablets offer a feature called "Private Addressing" or "Randomized MAC Address" to try to prevent your device's ID from being tracked across public networks. This feature will provide the network with a new MAC address each time it reconnects to the network. These are likely the MAC addresses that you are seeing in the Client List. To prevent this, you will need to disable the setting on the phones and tablets that are connected to the network.

Some devices may also be misclassified, as the device classification is based on general standards used to ID devices through the MAC address. If you have any wireless IoT Devices, SmartTVs, Laptops, or Hubs, the device may simply be misclassified.

Lastly, as long as the devices are connected to the network, it is normally much easier to identify a device first using its current IP address. This is usually more readily available and easier to compare than the MAC Addresses.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 330

Replies: 8

Related Articles