THANKS - Disregard - AXE5400 changing static IPs to DHCP

2024-02-29 02:23:22 - last edited 2024-02-29 22:01:29
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.9 Build 20231115 rel.37295(5553)

UPDATE - It's going back. I just can't deal with it anymore. Brand new camera replace the old one. It STILL won't take it. Put other router in, it's fine. On top of the horrible interface, I'm DONE. Thanks all for reading and pondering. I know it can't happen, but I'm watching it. NEW CAMERA out of box. Set as static IP before install. Now DHCP.

New to the TP-Link router world. Installed a new AXE4500 this week. I have about 100 devices. Among them are about 10 cameras. I am using 192.168.1.* addressing because the cameras all had static addresses in that range. I start my DHCP at 192.168.1.50. My Reolink cameras were all assigned static IP/DNS addresses of from 192.168.1.10 and up. That's where my software was looking for them. Plugged them into my AXE and fired everything up. EVERY ONE OF THEM was back to DHCP with random addresses. I went in and set them back again. Save. Exit. They work for 15 secs and then they are gone. Back to their DHCP addresses. Plugged the switch with all the cameras into my old router and reset all the IPs again. Static. Save. Exit. login with static ID. Good. Plug them back into my AXE and poof, back to DHCP. I've never seen anything like it. SO, I reserved the IP addresses and tried to move on. ONE CAMERA will not come up. It has a gateway of 0.0.0.0 which is odd. I can logon briefly, but then it dumps me. A ping test and it drops about every 15 secs and then comes back, but never long enough to register with my software.

So, I go back to my old router. No internet, just the router. Set static ips again. Works fine. Can't load software off-line, but ping test is smooth. AXE hates this one camera, but how can a router change static IP settings.

Thanks all. Has made me nuts.

Options
5 Reply
Re:AXE5400 changing static IPs to DHCP
2024-02-29 18:03:21

@TK40YR 

The router itself should not be able to change the IP address seting of a client device if the device is set with a static IP address.

This issue should be connected with something else, can you describe your network infrasctructure (any other devices like  routers, extenders, APs, NVR).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-02-29 18:16:42

@terziyski I know it SHOULDN'T be doing it. It shouldn't be possible, but I've repeated it several times over. All my cameras go into one PoE switch, so I disconnect that switch from the network and plug it into my old router so they can get some sort of IP I can address. No connection to the network. I go set all the IPs in the range preceding the DHCP range on the AXE. Save, logout. Log back in. They are using static IPs. I disconnect the switch from my old router and back into the AXE. Before I did that, I went in and removed all the DHCP reservations for the MAC addresses. Plug my switch back in. EVERY SINGLE CAMERA is back to random DHCP addresses and the ONE camera once again has a gateway of 0.0.0.0 and will not stay connected to my network. Yes, I have other "routers" but they are all in AP mode and have been in place for years without an issue. The one camera worked fine on my old router but won't work on this router.

Honestly, I'm about to dump the whole thing and start over with a new router. This interface is making me crazy.

Options
2024-02-29 20:00:26

@TK40YR

What's the make and model of your PoE switch ?

What's the make and model of your IP camera ?

Do you have NVR in your network ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-02-29 21:39:55

@terziyski They are Reolink cameras. No idea the switch, just a dumb PoE switch. And no NVR. I'm sorry, struggling with relevance as to why/how this router is refusing static IPs and forcing DHCP. There are NO OTHER DHCP servers on the network.

Options
2024-03-01 00:20:15

@TK40YR 

Make sure that IP Address Reservation and IP & MAC Binding is not configured on the AXE75.

Other than that I can't see how the router will change the statically set IP addresses of the cameras.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 263

Replies: 5

Related Articles