Odd Wireless issue

Odd Wireless issue

Odd Wireless issue
Odd Wireless issue
2024-03-01 15:37:26

Deco Model: X3600 (Costco 3pk

Version: 1.6

Firmware: 1.2.4 Build 20231226 Rel. 55347 (latest)

Having an odd issue with the wireless since installing the latest firmware back in December/January that has be a bit perplexed. 

1. Originally when I purchased these back in February 2022 I could get up-to 500+mbps wireless on my iPhone 11pro (note this is main method of testing along with my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga S1 w/ Windows 10pro 64bit), however ever since installing the latest firmware the speeds have now decreased to maybe topping out at 300mbps on a good day.

2. Coverage is for an ~3000sqft house, two story with a basement. Main node is on the main floor, living room at NW corner of the house where the ONT is installed (Google Fiber). Other nodes are on the 2nd floor (bedrooms) with on situated about middle of the floorplan and the last in my stepsons bedroom over the garage (SE corner of the house). Topology is setup that the upstairs units are daisy chained to ensure connectivity as the upstairs unit over the garage had a low connectivity to the main node (however it never dropped).

3. The above topology has been that way since before the latest firmware update and did not cause any problems

4. Main node is now not allowing any clients to connect to it via the 5ghz channel. When attempting to force clients to connect only to that unit it would drop to the 2.5ghz channels only even though the node and clients are setup to auto choose. When forcing clients to connect to that main node AND select the 5ghz channel, we all experience a "Network Unavailable" or "Unable to join network" error message. All clients that are currently connected to the main node are on the 2.5ghz channel.

5. There is ONE item that is connnected via a MoCA adapter from the main node then terminated in the basement (switch that is connected to a PS5). Wired speeds via either Thinkpad or the PS5 to the switch via the MoCA adapter setup top out at over 900mbps up/down.

6. Deco app is set to reboot the network daily at 3am.

So the question is two fold;

1. What is going on that my speeds have suddenly dropped so much? While not a huge decrease that is causing any issues for most of us, the one thing I have seen is that my stepson's xbox is not registering as a NAT Type Medium (think this is more MS/Xbox problem as I always had issues, IPv6 is enabled). Again, regardless of where I was in the house and which node I was connected to I could easily pull 500mbps. 

2. Is my current main node on it's way out that it suddenly does not want to allow anything to connect to the 5ghz channel? Never had any issues with interference from other networks in the few years we have been using. Now new devices that would create extra interference that I am aware of (at least in our household and suburban environment that would does not lead to extra issues). 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Odd Wireless issue
2024-03-05 15:46:05

@Fizzius 

Bringing to the top as still having this issue. @tplinlk  what's going on with this? 

Options
2024-03-25 03:36:10

@Fizzius are you still having issues? I've been experiencing the same issues and I have a similar configuration

Options
2024-03-25 05:06:12

@Fizzius 

I assume your Deco are interconnected by wifi, not by Ethernet cable.

Is the wifi connection between Deco using 5Ghz?

Did you modify the configuration to setup your daisy chain topology, or was this topology selected by the Deco?

To diagnose your issue, I suggest swapping the main Deco with one of the satellite Deco.  It involves a procedure via the Deco app, as well as physically swapping the two units.

Options
2024-03-26 13:59:52

@Fizzius 

yes still experiencing the same issue.

Setup was not an auto configuration thing as from what I have experienced in the past, TP Link systems will not automatically do a daisy chain setup. This has to be user manipulated. This was done as all nodes were attempting to connect to the main node, with the furthest having a weak signal at best. I have attempted to switch out the nodes to see if the main node was failing and this did not alleviate the issue. 

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this is a bug of sorts that is in the latest firmware and based on the age of the setup, the likelihood of getting a "timely" fix is something that is not on the agenda for TP Link seeing as they are focused on pushing out their newest WiFi7 products. Unfortunately, the fact that TP Link calls this 3-node system something that can cover over 3k sqft homes is somewhat of a joke. Couple that with the limited capabilities within the Deco app, lack of firmware support on a product that is barely 2yrs old (and cost $300+ at that time) and seemingly their response more is to replace with a newer, more expensive setup for "enhanced coverage" I will be moving to a product line that has a bit more stability, longevity and support for their consumers. Already in the process of deploying a Unifi SDN in my home that will give me WAY more functionality at similar price point.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 94

Replies: 4

Related Articles