range extender RE650 connect to M4R mesh

2024-03-03 18:52:02
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.8

Can my RE650 be connected to my M4R Deco Mesh to extend my signal to my outdoor patio and garage security cameras.. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:range extender RE650 connect to M4R mesh
2024-03-04 20:29:22

@dejones,

Technically yes, however I would highly recommend looking at getting another mesh node designed for this. Even if it is another smaller node or a model meant for the outdoors, like X50-Outdoor, you will have a 10x better experience. Don't forget that Deco Mesh nodes are all compatible with each other, so you can easily upgrade or add a node to your network. Oftentimes, users will opt to upgrade their main node and use their previous main node to extend their network as a satellite.

Adding a range extender to a mesh network can often cause difficulties with your main mesh network, as you are introducing another technology and significant interference. Adding another mesh node would allow your devices to seamlessly transition between the outdoors and indoors, rather than having to wait for your device to send the command that it should probably switch network connections.

Furthermore, due to the way range extenders function, you will likely see a dramatic decrease in performance when compared to adding another mesh node, especially if using wireless connection methods throughout your home.

If you already have the RE, you can try to configure the device normally, as it should be able to detect and separate the Decos SSID into a 2.4 and a 5Ghz network - just keep in mind that it will likely affect your current setup and that it should ideally be placed halfway between your satellite deco and the area you want your connection extended to.

I would also recommend configuring the RE to use a completely different network name than your main network, as this will allow only devices you choose to connect to through the RE - this way devices will not change their connection method to use the RE when the mesh network is perfectly usable.

Options