Slow speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Slow speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Slow speeds
Slow speeds
2024-03-05 20:50:13
Model: Deco W3600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I am on a 1gig fiber service. When I connect direct to the modem (ONT) with ethernet cable I can get 800 down 900 up. Standing six feet from the main deco which is connected to the modem (ONT) with my phone I get 80 down 90 up on the wifi. Not good. What could be the problem?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Slow speeds
2024-03-06 23:54:12

Hey @Bluestringer,

A few things could be at play:

1 - You indicated that you are using a Deco W3600 which does not have the ability to broadcast your entire gigabit connection over a wireless connection, especially if your backhaul is in use at the time. Saying that, you should be able to achieve significantly higher speeds than what you indicate, especially if you are able to connect to the network via a 5GHz connection.

2 - For your ONT, can it also operate as a wireless router? If so, there are a few settings that you would need to adjust on either the gateway or the deco network. What ONT are you connecting to? Who is your ISP?

I would recommend first testing the connection with a wired device connected to the main node, as this would let us know if the main network is receiving the whole speed from your ONT/ISP.

Options
Re:Slow speeds
2024-03-07 01:56:23

@Riley_S 

Specs for the W3600 say it is capable of 1201 on 5ghz and 574 on 2.4ghz. I did get the phone to speed up by dedicating it to 5gz. My ONT is not capable of operating as a router. My ISP is Conexon Connect.  I have tested directly from the ONT with a laptop and get speeds in the 700-800 range up and 900 down. I have also tested from the main deco wired to the laptop and get almost the same speeds as directly from the ONT. Speeds did improve a lot by putting the phone on 5gz. Since I don't use the phone much I'm satisfied with that. The second deco I have im my office with my desktop PC connected to it with ethernet. Speeds on it are good, 500-700 down and up. My TV is one room over from the main deco and connects wireless at 5ghz with speeds 125-170 which is plenty fast enough for streaming, no problems there.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 277

Replies: 2

Related Articles