Is there a way to reboot/restart TP-Link PLCs e.g. TL-PA9020P using the tpPLC or another app?

Is there a way to reboot/restart TP-Link PLCs e.g. TL-PA9020P using the tpPLC or another app?

2024-03-11 12:15:34
Tags: #restart
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 3.2.4_902104_190506_901

Is there a way to reboot/restart TP-Link PLCs e.g. TL-PA9020P using the tpPLC or another app, or anyway, remotely?

Or can restart only be done with physical presence (unplugging and re-plugging)?

n.b. I'm not referring to factory resetting - I don't want to change/lose the configurations, just cause a PLC / a pair of PLCs to negotiate a new communication channel over the powerline.

I ask this because I have some earlier (AV1000, AV1200) models which gradually lose speed over time, and benefit from a ~monthly restart;that is, after a fresh power-on of these older models, perfectly good performance will be achieved and will remain for days and weeks, with a gradual, consistent decline in speed. (So, it's not like ancient overly-optimistic DSL which would "sync" at a completely unsustainable speed and then accumulate massive amounts of errors; these really do work at the high initial speed, and exhibit what I might call "electronic dust collection" requiring the occasional "blow the dust off"{restart}. Actually, sounds like something that TP-Link should release a firmware update to do automatically...)

Not sure if the AV2000 TL-PA9020P has automatic re-tuning that the older products don't, and so might not need it?

anyway, thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Is there a way to reboot/restart TP-Link PLCs e.g. TL-PA9020P using the tpPLC or another app?
2024-03-19 18:59:06

@Jay_L 

You can reset the PLC with the help of tpPLC utility - details.

Here's a tpPLC utility user guide.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Is there a way to reboot/restart TP-Link PLCs e.g. TL-PA9020P using the tpPLC or another app?
2024-03-19 19:12:16

@terziyski This does not address the question. This allows resetting the configuration of an adapter - I very much do NOT want that; I just want to reboot/restart the adapter.

Options
2024-03-19 20:34:22 - last edited 2024-03-19 23:03:50

@Jay_L 

The point was that only a reset can be done trhough the tpPLC utility.

There's a note in red text though:

Note: After reset, the device may leave the original powerline network if this network does not use the default name (HomePlugAV).

I would assume that if the default name you're using is HomePlugAV this would be just as restarting the device.

I haven't tested this myself but it looks like a an opportunity to test if that works for you.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-19 22:19:55

@terziyski That is exactly why I want only reboot/restart, NOT "reset". Because these devices do NOT use the default network name; they have been set up with a private encryption key pair. "Resetting" any device would require reconfiguring all devices. That's bad.

There really should be a 'reboot' function, so that the user does not have to walk to a device/all devices and physically unplug them to restart them.

Options
2024-03-19 23:07:35

@Jay_L 

Probably this qualifies as a feature request - there's a specific section in the community where you can file such one:

1e9cf17e74d54b3bb9c0d349e0dadc2d

Options
Вчера

@Jay_L 

Yes, you are able to restart any connected device to the network with the Fritz!Powerline Utility.

Options