DECO BE16000 Incorrect Password

2024-03-22 13:54:30
Model: Deco BE16000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Very Frustrated with this $1000+ paper weight.

I recently installed the BE16000 installation went great. One unit is upstair, one unit downstairs and third unit in the basement. 

I have a iphone 13 Pro Max, when I move from upstair to downstairs, the phone loses the wifi connection. When I try to reconnect to the network I get an "Incorrect Password" message.  

I move to basement and the same happens.

I get the same "Incorrect Password" message for Guest network

So far had 3 calls with tech support

We have tuned off Fast Roaming, Beamforming, Private Wi-Fi Address on the phone

I am now being asked to turn one of the other deco to main and see if it fixes the problem.

I am thinking of a hard reset for each deco to see if that helps.

Any suggestions welcome - note to self  go back to NETGEAR that was rock solid for 7 years

Options
5 Reply
Re:DECO BE16000 Incorrect Password
2024-03-22 17:07:47

Hey @MukundW,

Sorry to hear about your experience, I would be more than happy to try and troubleshoot the behavior.

First off, this may not be a fault of the Deco and may be why our team had trouble. If you used the same wireless settings as your previous network, then your phone may still be trying to connect using older credentials. Make sure you forget all related network settings from your known networks and try again.

Does the behavior exist across multiple devices or only with the iPhone?

As support said, try disconnecting the last Deco from the network to see if you can isolate the behavior to one node or branch of your network.

I would also recommend trying to choose a lower security method such as WPA/WPA2 personal, as this is the most compatible of the networks and may help diagnose the issue. IF you do not want to test with your main network, you can change the security method of your IoT network separately.

Options
2024-03-22 18:23:55

@MukundW 

Thanks for the response.  I kept the same SSID but changed the password.  Also I have go through several times of forget network and connect again so all prior network information is wiped off.  My wife's android phone does not have the issue.  It is only mine.  Tech Support has been woefully inadequate for a $1000+ device.

Here is what I did find out, I went through disconnecting each of the satellite deco's and seeing which one was giving me the error.  When I took out the deco in the living room for that one experiment I could go on all three floors and maintain connectivity.  I powered down the deco in the Living Room and then repowered it back again.  Things started working and I could move through all floors without a drop. I could also turn on private WIFI on my iphone and no issue until I went to the garage and the network dropped.

The garage is on the same level as the Living room. When I tried reconnecting (flush with confidence that I had solved the issuse) I got the "Incorrect Password" error.  I came back and the phone connected to the WiFi in the garage as if nothing was wrong.

I was told to change the satellite deco to main and see what happens only to find the faq instructions do not mention to connect the new main to cable modem (I asked this specifically to tech support) and got told just change it as per instructions.

I do think it is a DECO issue. I am regretting spending the money on this and as of now I have 4-6 hours on this.  I will be putting a negative review on this product.

MukundW wrote

I recently installed the BE16000 installation went great. One unit is upstair, one unit downstairs and third unit in the basement. 

I have a iphone 13 Pro Max, when I move from upstair to downstairs, the phone loses the wifi connection. When I try to reconnect to the network I get an "Incorrect Password" message.  

I am now being asked to turn one of the other deco to main and see if it fixes the problem.

Any suggestions welcome - note to self  go back to NETGEAR that was rock solid for 7 years

MukundW wrote

MukundW wrote

Options
2024-03-22 21:57:05

Hey @MukundW,

Our teams are reviewing your case and identifying potential causes. I recommend providing the information requested over email for your active support tickets, as this will help our developers get a better idea of your environment.

At first glance, our team still thinks it may be related to the fact that you used the same SSID with a different password for your home network. While wiping all settings will often solve the problem, there may be settings on the phone that identify the network as the same as the previous network.

For the guest network, is this an entirely new SSID and Password?

Do you have any other networks enabled that are also using the same SSID, such as a 6Ghz network or an MLO Network?

If the behavior is limited to when you have the Living Room node connected, and the behavior does not exist when the Living Room node is disconnected - you may try resetting and reconfiguring only that node. 

We also find it odd that the behavior is limited to one device - most common issues result in the behavior being seen across multiple devices. When only one device is affected, we are usually looking at a situation where there is a miscommunication between your device and the network.

I would still recommend trying to setup your IoT network and using a lesser encryption method - as mismatched security can throw an incorrect password error on the device. Forget the other networks from your home and see if the behavior exists while your phone is connected to the IoT network's SSID. Make sure to configure the IoT network with a completely different SSID to prevent potential issues.

Private Addressing - For your home network, I would recommend leaving this disabled, as it does cause your device to be seen as a completely new device by your Decos. This can cause interruptions in your connection or may cause your device to disconnect.

Options
2024-03-23 00:01:59

@Riley_S 

thanks for the response. Changing SSID how do I do that ? If that is to be done I have close to 5 hours that I will have to work to get all devices back on line. 

tye guest network is using the same SSID as main with an _Guest

i am finding that once I am connected I can move around and the connection does not drop. 

However if I disconnect say forget network and try to connect keeps spinning. I have to reboot my phone the the connection goes through. 

I removed the Deco from the living room and then hit the reset at the bottom powered it up and it went in the mesh. 

if you believe that a new SSID will help I am willing but it is a lot of work. 

Options
2024-03-25 12:12:57

@Riley_S 

Over the weekend, I changed the SSID from the old one to a new one.  So far that seems to be working. I did not get a dropped connection so far.  Two instances where a device was connected but could not get to an internet.  Two mac computers. I had to reboot the computers and then they were fine.  I am monitoring my network frequently removing the network from my iPhone and reconnecting and so far it has not been a problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 476

Replies: 5

Related Articles