Deco x90 Pulsing Blue. No ISP for a Week, but Need local WiFi Back for Smart Devices to Function

Deco x90 Pulsing Blue. No ISP for a Week, but Need local WiFi Back for Smart Devices to Function

2024-03-26 20:02:58 - last edited 2024-03-26 20:36:50
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My incompetent ISP went out this morning, and they can't get someone out to fix their awful equipment for a week. Okay, fine. 

However, my main Deco is a x90. 

I have another x90 and two x60's as satellites becasue I have a spread out property with lots of smart devices and range and connections have been an issue. 

When my ISP went down, my Decos started to blink red. I thought this was odd because when this has happened before (losing my ISP) my local WiFi has been operational. 

The app for iOS would not find my Deco's, so I hit the pin hole reset button on the bottom of my main (meaning it fucntions as the main router and the other 3 are satellites) x90 thinking that would help. Well, come to find out that just puts it in setup mode which I did not want to happen. 

I now try to re-add it from the app to try to get my local network back up for my smart devices, and it wants the ISP connection before it will proceed. 

Any way I can get my local WiFi back up and functioning without the ISP until the tech comes out to fix? 

In other words, how do I get the main x90 Deco out of the setup mode since I did not want to do that? I was trying to do a re-boot not a new setup. 

Just tried walking through this process via the app, I named the network the same, and it would not let me do this. I have over 60 smart devices connected to this network and now it is telling me I can't just set up the x90 the way it was before?! There has to be a way to do this. 

What a nightmare. 

Thank you, 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco x90 Pulsing Blue. No ISP for a Week, but Need local WiFi Back for Smart Devices to Function
2024-03-27 07:52:50

@Talon61 I expect that resetting the main Deco caused the loss of your whole configuration.

I assume it is too late to promote another Deco as main, as this requires the main to be operational.

I believe you have to remove your network from the app and recreate it.

I am not convinced you can achieve that while your ISP is down, and, even so, if your wifi network will become operational until your ISP is up.

Is your Deco configured in AP or in Router mode?  I believe it behaves better in Router mode when the ISP is down.

Options
Re:Deco x90 Pulsing Blue. No ISP for a Week, but Need local WiFi Back for Smart Devices to Function
2024-03-27 16:14:26

@yves_b 

The main Deco x90 is in router mode. 

You are correct in that I basically had to remove all units, satellites and main router, and basically start over. It took me a couple of hours and some cussing, but I am back up and running. I reset all devices and was able to just name the new network the same as the old with the same password which allowed all my connnected devices to find the "new" network, connect, and get on with business. 

During this process, my ISP connection also came alive. So, it appears this was a Deco issue and not a ISP issue..at least I think. 

I'm going to keep my ISP tech appointment next week just to make sure this doesn't happen again. 

I live in a remote area, and my choices of ISP's are limited to small local players that use over the air "broadband". Most are hard to get a good connection. 

I think I'm headed to Starlink. Tired of the local connection issues with the transmitting towers. Four of my five neighbors have all migrated to Starlink and they are very happy with the service. 

Now, I just have to figure out how to use my Deco x90 rounter with Starlink. I belive I need some sort of adapter. 

Thanks for the help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 63

Replies: 2

Related Articles