Parental Controls features subscription = dumb

2024-04-02 05:54:09
Tags: #Parenal Controls
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6

I purchased this router with the intention of upgrading my parental controls for my kids who are getting to the age where curiosity will get the best of them.

I was hoping a modern router with all the capabilities would come unlocked. But apparently I didn't pay for all the functionality of the router, as there is a cash-grab subscription model that allows me to use this device as I was intending. This practice is unacceptable. I get that there are a lot of threats to monitor. I would rather have a profile that permits access to ONLY the websites I have approved. That shouldn't be so complicated that it requires a subscription. 

I'm very disappointed in this manipulation 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Parental Controls features subscription = dumb
2024-04-02 18:53:14

Hey @RYANWOZ,

There is a baseline level of Parental Control features available for free and most of the features that you see an added cost for are a result of our partnerships with other companies. By working with another service for our parental controls, we are able to provide a much more comprehensive service that allows for up-to-date blocking of content types, specific YouTube Channels, Searches, or Types of Apps.

While it may sound simple to provide access to only a set website, multiple servers and sites often need to be added for a site to work correctly. This will often also affect the services operating on the device, such as updates or cloud syncing.

Our teams are also working on the new KidShield Service and App, which will add a great deal more control over your kid's devices and network activity once released.

In the meanwhile, Is there a specific feature that you think should be moved to the free tier of HomeShield?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 254

Replies: 1

Tags

Parenal Controls
Related Articles