Guest Network Isolation while using RE315 in Mesh Mode..

2024-04-03 00:36:18
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.9 Build 20231115 rel.37295(5553)

I was researching the possible purchase of a onemesh extended to add to my AXE75 router.

Perplexity AI tells me this and I wonder if this is accurate.

1. When the RE315 is used in OneMesh mode, connected to a TP-Link OneMesh router like the Archer AX10, it allows the guest network on the main router to be accessible to devices connected to the RE315 extender. This means the guest network is not isolated and devices on the main network and guest network can communicate with each other. 3
  2. However, when the RE315 is used as a regular standalone extender (not in OneMesh mode), it is able to properly isolate the guest network from the main network. Devices on the guest network connected to the RE315 extender cannot access devices on the main network. 3
  3. The search results do not indicate whether the RE315 can extend both the main WiFi network and the guest WiFi network simultaneously when in standalone extender mode. It seems the extender can only extend either the main network or the guest network, but not both at the same time. 2

In summary, the TP-Link RE315 extender can extend both the main WiFi network and guest WiFi network, but the isolation of the guest network depends on whether it is used in OneMesh mode or standalone extender mode. 

If true the we loose a key feature of guest WIFI (LAN Isolation) when using te RE315 in onemesh mode.

Can anyone confirm this to be true or not. I found Perpelxity AI not to be 100% accurate at times.

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Guest Network Isolation while using RE315 in Mesh Mode..
2024-04-05 20:21:07 - last edited 2024-04-06 01:07:25

@theMezz 

Guest network can't be extended in OneMesh - check this feature request post and this post.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 240

Replies: 1

Related Articles