Sg108 not connecting to Mac

2 weeks ago

I just received a new SG108 switch, and I cannot get a connection on my Macbook. The CAT5 cable is good as I bypassed my switch and plugged from my Verizon router directly into my Mac. No issues. 

I don't get a flashing green lights on the MacBook Port. The feed port(1) is a steady green slight. 

Any suggestions?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Sg108 not connecting to Mac
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@BCUZOFHIM 

If your router is TL-SG108 here an explanation of its LED status:

702d76fd6e6c43fb98bcd2d81665b078

Steady green light means running at 10/100/1000 mbps without trasmitting/receiving any data.

Perhaps you should run some traffic through the switch to see its green light quick flashing.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

@terziyski thanks. Not sure how to run data through it without a connection. I know the cable is good, and have internet connection when connected directly to my Mac. When going through the switch, I have no connection to my Mac. 

Could it be that the Verizon router needs to be configured so the switch can understand the signals?

Options
2 weeks ago

@BCUZOFHIM 

What's your network topology ? Verizon router => switch => Mac ?

This is unmanaged switch which means it doesn't need any configurations - it's a plug and play device.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2 weeks ago

@terziyski yes. That's exactly my topology. Correct. I should be able to plug and play, but it's not working. Am I limited on the number of IP addresses?  (I'm not a network guy, so that might be a bad question)

Options

@BCUZOFHIM 

So you should use two ethernet cables - one between Verizon router and the switch and another between the switch and your Mac.

Are you sure that both ethernet cables are OK. Swap them or use another cable then test again.

What's the status of the two used ports on the switch ? Which port of the Verizon router do you use ? What's the model of the Verizon router ?

Options
2 weeks ago

@terziyski Thank you. I did just this and got a connection. I must have a wall port connection issue. Thanks much for your help. I needed another set of virtual eye balls. Thanks again for your help. 

Options