USB network storage/share with internal network

2024-07-05 18:58:06
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 20230906 rel.52143(5553)

The AX6000 seems to be working ok, the user is the problem, apparently.  What I'm trying to accomplish is a USB storage connected to the router's USB-C connection. The router finds it just fine, even locates a "//TP-Share" icon on my "This PC" page in Windows 11. The USB device is a Mediasonic 4 bay raid drives, 4 each 12TB drives, it connects to the router via the USB-C connection.

The //TP-Share gives me access to the drive to read files, but no ability to edit or add files. The previous setup was also a TP-Link router (Archer C3200). On it, I used 3 each, Buffalo NAS. I was able to see the NAS units in Windows Network, then able to Map those NAS units to the Windows 11's "This PC" page. Giving access to read and write files, even dragging and dropping. It also made those file available to anyone who could sign in to my network.

I can't map the USB drive to windows with the AX6000, the //TP-Share link allows one way access, read only. No files can be added via the //TP-Share link, no drag and drop is possible.

Been although the sites' the pages on "Can't access my USB", router setup pages and still no go. So what am I doing wrong?

Options
9 Reply
Re:USB network storage/share with internal network
2024-07-06 14:44:51

@Sats2 

On the Router Web GUI page for USB Sharing, make sure that the Slider for Access Authentication is off?

However, I'd suspect if that was set you'd be getting an Access error?

Options
2024-07-06 19:26:43

IrvSp wrote

@Sats2 

On the Router Web GUI page for USB Sharing, make sure that the Slider for Access Authentication is off?

However, I'd suspect if that was set you'd be getting an Access error?

@IrvSp 

I beleive those setting are that way now. Here's a screenshot of the USB page:

bc5faeb7e0ca42cd935efe63ee5e4351

Options
2024-07-06 19:35:27

@Sats2 Here are more screenshots that show the lack of USB drive accessibility. No ability to map the drive, nothing to map in Network mapping. With all my trials and errors, I've now lost the TP-Share icon that used to reside in This PC page.

e3ade55ad9f24494b08705e11d401be2

c5da7c0064ab496b8d554425a5e3d566

a7807024f4b741beb2e937a3cab8ded4

f37eaa4478e448d382e017bf81c5d786

Options
2024-07-06 20:23:34

@Sats2 

I've got a different router and I've hit the USB/LAN wall too.

One thing I did discover, and I suspect it has to do with MS dropping the Master Browser function, the router seems to control the LAN... and if you make a change in the router LAN function, the devices on-line, wired or wireless can't see the true topography of the LAN immediately. It can take literally minutes for that to populate.

I use the CMD line and NET VIEW myself, especially for NET USE, I like the control.

I switched routers myself and lost connection just like you are seeing between our 2 PC's...

Looks like this:

155f6a6e1bc54ec2a57802b616a84aea

Now I can 'dig down' into my PC and see all the drives and files, as well as the Router (TP-Share), and my wife can also the contents of her PC and the router USB drive. Neither of us can see the other's PC. Get Access Denied.

Using the CMD prompt:

===============

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\HPBD2482             Samba 3.0.37
\\IRVXPS8940           Irv's XPS8940
\\LARAINE-XPS8500      Laraine's XPS8500
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view \\laraine-xps8500
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

C:\>net view \\irvxps8940
Shared resources at \\irvxps8940

Irv's XPS8940

Share name   Type  Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C            Disk
K            Disk
L            Disk
MachineKeys  Disk
Users        Disk
The command completed successfully.

===============

It is driving me crazy... and I've scoured the web for the error 5 and I have EVERY POSSIBLE setting, SMB1, and service set correctly.

Now, you've hitting what seems to be similar and with a router switch, I have a thought from some of my 'debug'... I assume with this part of your original post, "The //TP-Share gives me access to the drive to read files, but no ability to edit or add files. The previous setup was also a TP-Link router (Archer C3200)." you did what I did, disconnected the NAS and all other connections to the old router and moved it to the new one and set it up 'fresh'.

In my case, I discovered that the new router could NOT even see the USB drive when it was powered on or rebooted. However, a SMALL flash drive, formatted in FAT32 did work. After that, I could remove he flash drive and plug in my 4TB drive and it was recognized and I can use it.

Now that may have nothing to do with your situation, but it may offer a hint.... as I had some progress and discoveries during my 'trails' to get the USB drive connected and recognized.

That is what might be part of why you are having some problems...

This list is what I discovered and was able to partially get to where I am now ever. At first, even NET VIEW failed for me.

• I discovered that the NEW VIEW error of no devices was due to the router not providing the LAN configuration as it was continually trying to mount the drive. I stumbled upon this once I put the same flash drive in as NET VIEW again worked... and this might NOT be a problem for you as you can access the NAS visually.
  • Once I had access to the USB and the LAN was populated I discovered our PC's although they could see each other, each had no access to the other person's PC. You might ALSO have this problem. It sort of sounds like what I'm seeing... although I do have access (both of us) to the USB drive on the router and can I did test reading and writing on both and we can do that.
  • I decided to do a NETWORK RESET, using the steps here, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058982/wireless/intel-killer-wi-fi-products.html, and after doing that, and trying to connect to my wife's PC, I got the SIGN-IN prompt asking for my Credentials to use HER PC. The Windows Certificate needed to be created. Knowing her Windows Account on her PC and P/W, I entered those. Got Access denied again. That didn't work, but I did feel seeing the UID and P/W request was progress.
  • Did a reset, made use I had a USER for me and tried that set of UID and PW, still failed. I suspect the Router may be involved here, working with Support on this.

So, I'd suggest first connect the NAS to a PC via Ethernet cable if possible and make sure you can access it there?

I'll assume as well you used the SAME SSID on both routers? That is what I did, but this is the 3rd router using the same SSID's, the prior 2 had no problems doing that?

I am assuming somewhere, somehow, there is 'bad' LAN data getting in the way?

Anyway, this is my tale of woe, it might help you or give you something to try and maybe you'd discover the true fix (and post it here for me smiley).

Options
2024-07-07 17:24:51

@Sats2 

I did find out the Router does connect to Windows 11 just fine if it's an Ethernet connected NAS, was able to Map it and access it to read and write. But at the same time, the USB-C drive won't map out or give me any kind of connections now. I initially had a "TP-Share" icon for the USB-C drive located on the "This-PC" window, it did allow me to see the contents of the drive, but I couldn't write to the drive. In the process of trying to locate the error, I lost this Icon.

I've gone so far as, to Recover Windows from a 5 July 24 backup from Acronis, just prior to installing the router. At the same time, I reset the Router back to factory settings. Went through the easy setup again (4th time now) and afterward, the same indications, the router sees the 48tb USB-c drive but no Icon or access to it. No network mapping possible, so I'm baffled at this point. Still searching for a fix. The fact that the router connects and allows 2 way communications to the Ethernet Drive, blows a lot of Windows errors out of the water. So what's different with a USB-c connected drive?

Options
2024-07-07 18:40:26

@Sats2 

Ok, found out after the NAS drive was mapped, a short time later (after the USB drive was scanned, it takes a while to scan 9k movies), the "TP-Share" icon was back on the "This PC" window, still only read access! But if you double-click to play a movie, it wants to download it to windows>iNetCache> IE, first, then play it. The NAS however plays the Movie instantly from the NAS it's self, as it should be! I rip my DVDs so the part of being able to write is very important.

But the fact of Connecting the NAS, just like in your case seemed to stir up a detection, then the TP-Share icon came about....hmmmmmm. My router took a firmware update moments prior to installing it, gotta wonder if some sort of AI is in the firmware now?

Options
2024-07-08 14:10:11

@Sats2 

You did provide more info, one being a 48TB drive (I assume all the NAS drives added together?), the other USB-C. Not sure which router has that capability (USB-C) as most I thought were the standard A-type?

I assume both the old and new router had USB-C or you are using a converter, but the file size could be something that might be differently handled within the 2 routers? One might not even be able to handle that size?

Since moving the NAS to the PC 'works', no request for access, that does sort of put the problem within the LAN and/or the router?

If you changed the Sharing on the router to ON, and entered UID and P/W there, when you try to access the share, do you get prompted for credentials? You should and if you provide them, can you access the drive and read it? If you can't, I'd say the problem is in the router?

Didn't help as I can see and use my share, but resetting the Network Adapter on the PC did produce the request when I tried to access my wife's PC. Provided the proper info, still failed... yet I never get prompted to see and use the USB Router drive? Even with a TV or iPad I don't have a problem.

Options
2024-07-08 16:52:50

@Sats2 

The Mediasonic is a 4 bay unit, USB-c out. This router was bought because it had USB-c, apparently not many do. The previous TR-Link router didn't have a USB-c. The entire setup is all new, because the older Buffalo NAS was split into 3 NAS units of 8tb each. I was trying to create fewer components for the Router equipment wall mounted shelf. I was also after speed, was only transferring at 40 megabits. So went out and bought 4 each 12 tb Hitachi drives and the Asustor 4 bay NAS, but it too was a slow roller at 44 megabits. So with that, the Mediasonic boasted 5 megabits with USB-c. Hence, the Router had to be replaced with an AX6000 with the USB-c. The Asus Ryzen 7 computer I'm using has the 2.5 megabit Ethernet. So matching up all these components, 1000 megabits Ethernet or the 5 Gigabits USB-c was the plan. I've played with this all day long for the last 5 days now. After seeing the Asustor NAS connect and populate to mapping it, it's slower than I wanted, but it works. So at this point, I bought a QNAP 431k, Ethernet and has advertised speeds of 150 megabits through the Ethernet port, it'll be her by Friday.

In answer to your other questions, yes the Security for sign in or request for credentials was removed, I do ave my TP-Share icon back, but it's just read only, and that read is downloaded to my IE cache, Unacceptable!

I guess the forums don't have any reps from TP-Link here, no technical assistance of any kind. I still like their products though!

Options
2024-07-08 18:01:44

@Sats2 

Ahh, that explains something with the latest info.

Router f/w is hit or miss I've found over time. There doesn''t seem to be any true spec's for the USB filesystem either. Varied routers, and varied vendor's have issues with size of the drives, or even the filesystem on them.

Some vendor products have 3rd party f/w that works better than the vendors even.

Forcing an open with IE doesn't make sense? IE isn't even 'in' windows anymore?

Have you tried a program, like VLC (which I use) to access the share and run the file? Not sure what format you have saved the files, but mine are AVI, and the default program for that is VLC.

Since you know the file extension, open your settings and select APPS>DEFAULT APPS>CHOOSE DEFAULTS BY FILE TYPE and then look for your video extension. That should show you what is played when you select the file.

Very FEW forum has true support people in them these days. Most will have 'volenteers' who keep the forum running answer questions. Occasionally, depending on the subject, a Moderator will step is and either answer or try to get you one.

Ones like this one, well, if 'they' don't think it is router related, they might just look at? However, this place is more user-to-user.

Now that said, IF you are still under warranty, you can write to  support.usa@tp-link.com and they might be able to assist. Not even sure you have be under warrany to do this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 324

Replies: 9

Related Articles