Any one found an AT&T compatible SFP+ ONU stick (PON Stick)?

2024-07-18 12:05:56
Tags: #Sfp+
Model: Archer BE800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi. Was considering buying the Archer BE800. I have AT&T fiber and hate their modem WiFi combo unit. Had I know I had to use their gear I wouldn't haven't switched from cable. I saw this new Archer BE800 had SFP+. I wasnt sure if any one had found a compatible PON and wanted to see before buying. I don't have lots of room for two giant towers so I'd rather just eliminate the AT&T router/modem if possible. If not I'll look to buy a less fancy (and giant) WiFi router to use. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Any one found an AT&T compatible SFP+ ONU stick (PON Stick)?
2024-07-18 17:13:03

@x00,

Unfortunately, we cannot provide a list of direct compatibility, but you should be able to find users across the forum and subreddit who have been able to use SFP with their routers.

Normally, we recommend that you actually contact AT&T in this case, as they should be able to provide you with a stick or at the very least a model that will work with their service. I will mention that due to the way that SFP works, they do generate additional heat than an ethernet connection - so unless you are looking to truly take advantage of a fiber connect or already have one available, a modem with ethenet may provide a better experience. 

I would check to see what devices you can use instead of AT&Ts gateway, It may be that there are traditional modems available for use.

Options
2024-07-18 17:23:45

@Riley_S thanks. I already have fiber service with AT&T and the one person I talked to at AT&T seemed to not have clue of what I was asking. Thanks tho. 

Options
2024-07-19 02:17:11 - last edited 2024-07-19 02:19:52

@x00 already looked into this with AT&T.  Because they no longer use external ONT's, and because of how their backend is set up, there isn't any way at present to use SFP+ with AT&T's fiber service. 

You have to use their gateway, which has the ONT built-in, in pass through mode with your router (all vendors).  

PS, it's the same with most other ISP's that provide internet access via fiber in the US. 

Options
2024-08-17 12:39:20

@Richardj186 thanks. I figured this was the outcome honestly. I'm not a fan of using isp provided hardware and if you have att then you probably know how bad the WiFi is on those units. I was hoping this may solve the issue of too many devices all in one place but seems like no matter what I get I'll have to run the modem in pass through and have an additional device. Thanks for letting me know. Def helps me in deciding how much to spend as well....

Options
2024-08-17 15:41:11

x00 wrote

@Richardj186 thanks. I figured this was the outcome honestly. I'm not a fan of using isp provided hardware and if you have att then you probably know how bad the WiFi is on those units. I was hoping this may solve the issue of too many devices all in one place but seems like no matter what I get I'll have to run the modem in pass through and have an additional device. Thanks for letting me know. Def helps me in deciding how much to spend as well....

@x00 with the latest 4.27.7 firmware the WiFi has markedly improved. Not as good as using my own router. 

Currently I'm using the Archer GE800, TP-Link's gaming router. I don't know what your budget is, but it's $599, with frequent sales on Amazon and Best Buy websites. Very powerful, great signal all over, and almost non-existent lag when gaming AND watching a 4k movie at the same time; incredible pulling that off. 

Options
3 weeks ago
I’m still having WiFi issues even with the newest firmware. It’s somewhat better but not great. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll look into it. I do mis my AX6000 which broke when we moved a few months back. Was hoping to limit devices as the modem is in my office (along with a lot of other computers) so it gets hot in there. But I’ll deal for better WiFi…..
Options