Deco M5 - Switching in from Router Mode to Access Point Mode - Internet Stops Working

Deco M5 - Switching in from Router Mode to Access Point Mode - Internet Stops Working

2024-07-19 20:26:43
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I needed the Deco M5 to work in Access Point Mode and not Router Mode...

When I set it up, it worked fine and pretty quick to connect in Router Mode...

So my connection is as follows :

Internet to Firewall to TP link 16 port unmanaged Switch to all Deco Units Directly.

Remember, this only works when you wish to use it in Access Point Mode.

I am using wired backhaul entirely.

It was honestly a nightmare to have this set up.

I did set it up in Router Mode initially, but the issue was the Deco's set themselves up an IP address of 192.168.68.1 and DHCP in the entire range.

Now, when you are connected to wifi, and wish to check the ip address on your wired lan (mine being on 192.168.1.1 series), it just does not show it, as i was connected to the 192.168.68.xxx series...  and another problem being, we are unable to set the IP address on the deco's to work in 192.168.1.xxx series, as it says it cannot work in same LAN and WAN if series is same... I also have my NAS on 192.168.1.xxx series, and i was having serious trouble in connecting with my wifi devices to my LAN network. And Internet also was having a huge slow down and it would just freeze...

Speeds on wireless backhaul, were really pathetic. Sorry TP Link... this is just my frank opinion.

Anyway, i finally decided i need to make a wired backhaul and run the unit in AP mode...

I needed to connect 8 AP's and I finally completed all wiring in all my locations required in my house.

During setup, it initally configures the first unit in Router mode. Do not continue adding other deco units, and then try to change to Access Point mode... it just did not work for me.

Kept tring for about 5 days (as and when time permitted). Finally, i thought lets just configure one unit first, and then add the other deco's to it if it works... Well so the first unit got setup quickly in Router mode. The moment i put it on Access Point mode, the wifi was connecting but no internet. Pretty annoying... But i was not about to give up... Tried the same with the second unit, third unit, fourth unit, fifth unit with no luck and finally in the sixth unit it just worked !

Thereafter, i was able to add additional deco's to the network and it all works now as an access point (wired).

By the way, firmware on all units were updated to latest before setting this up.

Now my deco and wifi devices are all in one network 192.168.1.xxx series.

And now - no issues in my wifi devices connecting with my wired lan systems or my NAS.

Also, my wifi speeds are pretty good now (500mbps upload and download).

Here, point being, if i did not have so many deco units to try to experiment to make it work as an access point, i would have actually thrown these units in the bin as it was just refusing to work in AP mode (no internet)... Another point being, there is NO OPTION on webpage of the router to do ANYTHING... customization options are absolutley poor.

So for others who are struggling to get the unit working in AP mode from Router Mode... Reset all routers, and setup only one first in Access Point mode...

Dont setup all in Router Mode, and then attempt to switch to AP mode... its really frustating when the primary router in router mode refuses to connect with internet in Access Point mode, and you have to reset all the devices again to re attempt. If a deco unit does not set up in AP mode from the default setup of Router mode, reset it, and try with another unit... Hopefully, you will get lucky.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Switching in from Router Mode to Access Point Mode - Internet Stops Working
2024-07-21 12:27:22

@urajay Given your setup, it is, indeed, required to run the Deco mesh in AP mode.

You did not tell what device was acting as DHCP server, is it your firewell, or something else you did not mention?

It is not fully clear if all Deco are finally configured as a single mesh.

If the Deco looses access to Internet when going from Router to AP mode, I suspect it is caused by a DHCP issue.  There was perhaps another DHCP present at that time, perhaps another Deco running in Router mode?

I do not see the benefit of configuring first the Deco in Router mode, then switching to AP mode.

Options
Re:Deco M5 - Switching in from Router Mode to Access Point Mode - Internet Stops Working
2024-07-23 10:14:23

@yves_b Hi... thanks for your kind revert back... Please note my reply as below :

1.  I have a firewall that acts as a DHCP Server.

2.  Yes.. All the Deco is finally configured as a single mesh, all working in Access Point Mode.

3.  I do not have any other wifi or network in my setup. It is just 192.168.1.xxx series. Only possibility of alloting IP to devices is by my firewall for which i have setup a range of 192.168.1.117 to 192.168.1.250 as DHCP range.

4.  I know ! There is no benefit of setting the Deco in Router mode and then switching to AP mode... but the app does not allow it to be setup any other ways ! During setup i tried setting up without modem, with modem and it would ask if it requires dynamic ip or static ip... i gave a shot at all combinations, but it refused to be straight away setup as a Access Point... It always landed up being setup in Router mode, and i had to switch it to Access Point mode... Few of the first routers did not get the internet, but finally one deco worked, and then the other's connected to it... As i mentioned... i was lucky that i had 8 deco units at hand to try this circus... 

Would you want to correct me in doing the setup any different ? I am happy to learn !

Options
2024-07-23 11:16:49

@urajay 

I believe that your issues were caused by the fact that you connected all Deco and the Firewall to a switch.

In that case, you are not allowed to add a second Deco to the mesh before switching the mesh from Router to AP mode.

I suspect that, at the moment you put the main Deco on Access Point mode, it obtained an IP address from another Deco, not from your Firewall.

And this address gave no access to Internet.

What was the color of the LED of the satellite Decos, when you switched the main Deco from Router to AP?

Options
2024-07-24 11:19:58

@yves_b Hi... Yes... I realised that connecting the firewall to switch... and all decos to switch was causing issues...

Hence... the setup that worked for me was I had to remove all deco units, and connect just one Deco unit to the switch... get that setup in Router mode, and then switch to AP mode.

I understand your point clearly now, that we are not to add a second Deco to the mesh befoer switching the mesh from Router to AP Mode.

Also, to confirm you once the first deco was being set up, all the other 7 deco units were kept offline and were power-off status. So, your doubt that the main deco once setup in Router mode, and switching to Access Point mode, obtained an IP address from another Deco and not from my firewall, is not techically possible. Since the other deco units were offline. There is no other option for the deco to obtain the IP address but from my firewall...

The color of the LED on the main deco became green once it was set up to Router mode...

But when i set it to AP mode, it rebooted, was yellow for a bit... then blinked red, and remained red on many of the units.

After following the same steps... luckily on the 6th unit (i think), it just rebooted from router mode to AP mode, and became connected and turned solid green.

Rgds, AJ.

Options
2024-07-24 11:56:34

@urajay It would have been interesting, at the moment the Deco was restarting in AP mode but unable to connect to Internet, to verify it it received an IP address.

Options
2024-07-26 09:04:50

@yves_b Yes indeed ! Is there any way to possibly do that ? Atleast that way, we could understand what IP it has taken, and what is the gateway and dns that is being allotted...

Also... is there any way that we can change the IP address of the AP's ? If we could change that, then i could put the AP's on a static ip, thereby freeing up 8 IP address that are currently being allotted on DHCP range of mine... Thanks for the help and revert !

Options
2024-07-26 09:14:41

@urajay If you connect your phone to the wifi of the Deco, the app should show info about the Deco, even if the Deco is not connected to Internet.

In AP mode, I believe it is not possible to assign a static IP address to the Deco, the Deco will always use DHCP.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 215

Replies: 7

Related Articles