Dedicated 6ghz wireless backhaul

2024-07-24 23:17:07
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.10 Build 20240325 Red. 57182

I bought this system recently and one of the selling points was being able to use the 6ghz band for dedicated wireless backhaul. YouTube videos and pictures of the app show an option to set this up, but my app does not have an option anywhere for dedicated wireless backhaul.

Wifi Settings > 6 GHz Network > Advanced > only option is Security or Hide Network.

Am I missing it? Was this removed from the app for some reason? The wireless nodes say Connected to: NAME (2.4 GHz/6 GHz/5GHz_1).

I'd like to use only the 6ghz band for wireless backhaul as I do not have enough 6ghz enabled devices to use that band for regular connections.

I've also noticed while speeds are good, the range is nowhere near advertised 7,200 sq ft. Barely connects in the driveway of my 2,000 sq ft house. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Dedicated 6ghz wireless backhaul
2024-07-27 18:10:38

Anyone please?

Options
2024-07-29 03:54:20

@mulmj2 

I have the Deco BE16000, and my system is missing this feature also (I probably watched the same Youtube video as you did).  I also purchased my system for the dedicated wireless backhaul.

I'm pretty sure I read something about why the feature is not present - but I don't remember exactly where or the details.  

On my system I can set an SSID for 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz, while also being able to set a different SSID for the 6 GHz network.  My system is quad band with two 6 GHz bands.  I am assuming one of those is for the dedicated wireless backhaul.  Even if this is the case, I set my SSD for the 6 GHz to hidden with a password that no one has.  I would assume on a tri-band system with one 6 GHz band, this would effectively utilize the 6 GHz band as a dedicated backhaul. 

As far as range, my experience is similar to yours.  I have watched a lot of range tests on Youtube and I do belive that TP-Link's claims are correct under ideal situations.  The problem is that each environment is unique between type of construction, obstructions and interferring congestion.  Minor changes in placement can make a big difference.  After moving the Decos around a little and re-running the Optimize network feature, I feel like I have pretty good coverage and range now.

Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable can jump in and give you some more answers.  I just wanted to give you some feedback from my perspective since I also had similar questions when I first got my Deco system going.

Options
2024-07-30 11:58:25

@Mike101 

Given that all wifi channels are always available for the backhaul, I believe the logic of the app has been changed.

In the past, it was possible to setup wifi 6 is "only for backhaul".

Now, it is possible to explicitely activate or deactivate the availability of wifi 6 for regular devices.  Exactly has was done before for wifi 2.4 and wifi 5.

I believe the new approach is easier to understand.

I agree that the change of logic is confusing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 238

Replies: 3

Related Articles