BE805 Router: My iPhone 15 Pro suddenly cannot connect to it, but it does via the Guest Network.

BE805 Router: My iPhone 15 Pro suddenly cannot connect to it, but it does via the Guest Network.

2024-08-12 19:41:26 - last edited 2 weeks ago
Tags: #iphone
Model: Archer BE800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20240318 rel.63271(5553)

I bought a new iPhone 15 Pro about a month ago.   All worked beautifully with the BE805 Router (purchased at Costco about 5 months ago).  I am running the latest 

Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20240318 rel.63271(5553)

About 10 days, I suddenly got a "cannot connect to <SSID>" on my iPhone.   I tried "Forgetting the network" and reconnecting (using my 2.4GHZ band) with re-entering password, but no go.  I then tried the 5 GHZ network, but same story (I have my bands split up, and I use a different password for each one).  Nothing worked EXCEPT when I try to connect the iPhone 15 Pro via the 2.4 GHZ Guest Network.   Then, it works without problems!  There are no disconnect issues or anything.

Meanwhile I have about 15 other devices (none of thhem are Apple) like PC laptops, TVs, Amazon Receptacles Timer, Printer, etc.., and no such problem EVER with any of them.

On the router, I have Smart Connect DISABLED, EasyMesh OFF, and there are no extenders.   

Another "weird" thing is that when I have iiPhone connected to the Router in "Guest Network" mode, and look inside the BE805 Network Map, it is the only Client / Device that has that little yellow icon (with two people) on the device.   What does it mean?  Here is a screenshot of it:

acbb6ffd78764876bca5943dedeb5538   

Any suggestions or help is very much apprecaited!   Remember, this is not a random disconnect issue, it's just I can't connect!  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:BE805 Router: My iPhone 15 Pro suddenly cannot connect to it, but it does via the Guest Network.-Solution
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Riley_S 

I wanted to give you (and others) an update on what happend.  Looks like the "copy and paste" was the culprit.  I have a 63 alpha-character password, and when I sent it to my iPhone 15 Pro from another "non-Apple" device, iPhone 15 Pro added a hypen in between the set of numbers (inside a regular Text Message).  For some reason, when you copy & paste and then manually remove the hypen, it would also remove a valid number together with the hyphen.  Only now, after MANUALLY trying to re-enter the 63 alpha-character password into the SSID, all worked!    There were NO new iOS updates, so I know this was the problem.

My fault, but my gripe is with Apple because when you enter a "wrong" password, their error message makes it seem like "unable to do a handshake" due to something else, and not the wrong password.    It would had been easier to say "wrong password entered".  This way, we know the handshake IS working, and it's just a wrong password.

I kind of feel stupid, but I hope someone else finds our exchange helpful in case they run into this same "problem".

So to confirm, I have NOT changed any settings on my BE805 and it is now able to connect using WPA3-Personal+WPA2-PSK[AES] security setting for 2.4, and 5 GHz.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:BE805 Router: My iPhone 15 Pro suddenly cannot connect to it, but it does via the Guest Network.
2024-08-12 21:29:21

Hey @Mystiky,

First the easy one, that icon is just a signifier that your device is connected to the guest network.

For your device, I would try a few things to troubleshoot:

• What is the Operating System version of your iPhone?
  • Are there any recent changes to your network or updates to your iPhone?
  • Are you using the 6GHz or MLO features of your router?

First, In your phone's network settings for the main network, disable the Private Addressing/Randomized MAC feature, as this is a feature meant to interfere with a network tracking a device and is easily toggled on and off for testing.

Next, check the security setting that you have set for your main network; traditionally, your guest network will use a lesser encryption method.

You should try setting your encryption method to use: WPA2-PSK[AES],  under Advanced->Wireless->Wireless settings 

Also, make sure you actually reboot your phone when making these changes as there can be settings in your cache that need to be cleared.

As a temporary workaround for things like casting and seeing local devices - there is a setting in your guest network to allow your devices on the guest network to see devices on your main network.

Options
Re:BE805 Router: My iPhone 15 Pro suddenly cannot connect to it, but it does via the Guest Network.
2024-08-13 16:32:10

@Riley_S Thanks for the reply.  Here are my findings (replies in Red):

For your device, I would try a few things to troubleshoot:

• What is the Operating System version of your iPhone?

iOS 17.6.1   (and same issue with the previous built as a small iOS update was pushed about 5 days ago)

• Are there any recent changes to your network or updates to your iPhone?

NONE - Except the iOS updates, I guess.   I have been running this same firmware for the TPLink BE805 for 3+ months, meaning no changes there either. 

• Are you using the 6GHz or MLO features of your router?

I have 6GHz 'Enabled" but I have nothing ever connected to it.   And the SSID's are different for 2.4, 5 and 6 GHz.    Also, MLO is DISABLED.

First, In your phone's network settings for the main network, disable the Private Addressing/Randomized MAC feature, as this is a feature meant to interfere with a network tracking a device and is easily toggled on and off for testing.    I tried that, and after the reboot, still same issue.

Next, check the security setting that you have set for your main network; traditionally, your guest network will use a lesser encryption method.

You should try setting your encryption method to use: WPA2-PSK[AES],  under Advanced->Wireless->Wireless settings 

I have always had WPA3-Personal+WPA2-PSK[AES] security setting for 2.4, and 5.    As for 6 GHz (although as I said I don't use it), I have it as WPA3-Personal. 

Also, make sure you actually reboot your phone when making these changes as there can be settings in your cache that need to be cleared.   I did.

Just to re-confirm, again the error is "Unable to connect..." and it happens on both 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID's.    The iPhone was working for about 3 weeks, and then suddenly stopped working for the last two weeks or so.

Options
2024-08-14 17:47:31

Hey @Mystiky,

Hmmm. Everything seems to point towards the encryption method used, or at least the handshake that occurred between your phone and the router with that encryption method. Are you able to try another encryption method on your network to see if the device is then able to connect?

There is also an option in your phone settings to completely reset your phone's network settings. If the cause was a bad handshake this would have the potential of clearing any saved certificate or setting.

Your phone is also capable of having a 6GHz connection, so you should consider trying to use that network and band.

My team has also mentioned that iOS devices previously had difficulties communicating using the lower channels on a band. You could try manually selecting a higher channel for one of your bands to see if anything changes.

Options
Re:BE805 Router: My iPhone 15 Pro suddenly cannot connect to it, but it does via the Guest Network.-Solution
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Riley_S 

I wanted to give you (and others) an update on what happend.  Looks like the "copy and paste" was the culprit.  I have a 63 alpha-character password, and when I sent it to my iPhone 15 Pro from another "non-Apple" device, iPhone 15 Pro added a hypen in between the set of numbers (inside a regular Text Message).  For some reason, when you copy & paste and then manually remove the hypen, it would also remove a valid number together with the hyphen.  Only now, after MANUALLY trying to re-enter the 63 alpha-character password into the SSID, all worked!    There were NO new iOS updates, so I know this was the problem.

My fault, but my gripe is with Apple because when you enter a "wrong" password, their error message makes it seem like "unable to do a handshake" due to something else, and not the wrong password.    It would had been easier to say "wrong password entered".  This way, we know the handshake IS working, and it's just a wrong password.

I kind of feel stupid, but I hope someone else finds our exchange helpful in case they run into this same "problem".

So to confirm, I have NOT changed any settings on my BE805 and it is now able to connect using WPA3-Personal+WPA2-PSK[AES] security setting for 2.4, and 5 GHz.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 204

Replies: 4

Tags

iphone
Related Articles