a seperate router with deco mesh

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Deco BE11000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20240521 Rel. 64384

I would like to use an extra seperate/stronger (with more choices) accessable router on my desktop for easy use, instead of on my phone (tedious),

any recomendation?

PS I have 6 deco be11000 and would like to keep them and use them as satellites.

Options
5 Reply
Re:a seperate router with deco mesh
3 weeks ago

@JerrySmall TP-Link recommends a maximum of 10, then you can create a separate network.  But you'd rather switch to a different mesh topology?

Options
3 weeks ago

@jzchen no just want to use a separate Router that can be accessed form a desktop.

Options
3 weeks ago

@JerrySmall Deco's can be accessed through a web browser, but the functionality is very limited, even less than the app.

If you want the most flexible, probably ASUS brand has the most configurability, or maybe TP-Link's Archer line.

I personally don't like that Decos don't mesh with Archers so I have not expanded my TP-Link lineup.  (I'm trying to buy a ZenWiFi BQ16 Pro next), or if TP-Link releases V2 of their Deco BE95 I'd try to get that since their Versions tend to have different firmwares...

Options
3 weeks ago

@jzchen thanks.

Options
3 weeks ago

@JerrySmall 

If you wish to maintain the other six Deco devices as satellite devices, you will need to purchase a newer Deco model and configure it as the primary unit. The remaining devices will continue to function as satellite units, and you will still need to utilize the Deco app to manage the network.

However, at the request of the support team, I changed one of my secondary Deco devices to the primary configuration, which resulted in significant complications.

Below is a copy and paste of the challenges I faced when I attempted to switch one Deco unit from secondary to primary.

I cannot guarantee that you will encounter the same issues when switching a current primary Deco to a new primary unit.

Before I began the process, I ensured that both Deco devices were online. I followed the instructions provided, and as soon as I designated the Living Room Deco as the primary unit, both devices' LED indicators changed from solid green to blinking red.

Following this change, I lost internet connectivity and encountered more issues with the application than I had experienced previously.

According to the Deco app, when the LED light is blinking red, it indicates that the device is disconnected from its primary Deco.

Currently, we are facing a new issue: the Pantry Deco, which was the primary unit, now perceives itself as the secondary, while the Living Room Deco, intended to be the main unit, still identifies as a secondary Deco.

At this point, I am without internet access. 

To regain connectivity, I followed these steps in sequence:

1. I initially attempted to access the settings to designate the Pantry Deco as the primary device. However, only the Living Room Deco appeared as an option, which was unexpected given that the above screenshot indicated it was connected.

2. Due to my inability to switch the Pantry Deco back to the main device, I opted to remove the Living Room Deco entirely. Unfortunately, this action led to the deletion of my entire network, necessitating a complete rebuild from scratch, which introduced several additional complications.

Subsequently, the Living Room Deco indicator began to blink blue, while the Pantry Deco continued to blink red. The Deco app then prompted me to set up my first device.

As I began to add the Living Room Deco back into the app, I encountered further challenges.

During the setup process, I was asked to create a network. Unfortunately, I could not do this as the network name was still associated with the Pantry Deco, indicating another disconnect between the app and the devices.

At this point, I reasoned that a reset switch must be available on these devices. I searched online and successfully located the reset switch.

I proceeded to reset both devices, unplugged the Living Room Deco, and designated the Pantry Deco as the primary device.

I then re-established both of my previous networks and re-added the Living Room Deco as the secondary device.

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options