Wireless bridge (AP in client mode) using 6 Ghz

3 weeks ago
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.20 Build 20240726 Rel. 12243

Hi, I have the Deco BE85 and presently dont use 6 GHz band for anything.   I would like to use a wireless client device to provide physical ethernet ports in another part of the house.  I've seen that certain TP-Linik Access Points can be configured in "Client" mode to achieve this, like the TL-WA1201, or the new TL-WR1502X travel router.  But those devices connect over 5 GHz.  Are there any products that connect over 6 GHz and be used in "client mode" to provide wired ports in a different location?  Or, can another Deco WiFi 6E or 7 unit be used as a mesh extension over 6 Ghz, and then have the WiFi radios turned off and use the physical ethernet ports for non-wifi devices?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wireless bridge (AP in client mode) using 6 Ghz
3 weeks ago

@BILJ Standard backhaul method is via WiFi, AND I do believe the Ethernet ports are available for devices to use.  So by default I think that just adding another WiFi 7 (for more compatibility/ease) Deco you'll automatically accomplish this.

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@BILJ 

If you add any model of Deco to your mesh (connected by cable or by wifi to another Deco, it will extend the mesh, and allow connecting both cabled and wireless devices.

You cannot disable the wifi on an individual Deco, and there is no need to do that.

A Deco acts simultaneously as an Access Point, as a Range Extender, and in Client Mode.

Options
3 weeks ago

@BILJ Thanks everyone, I'm going to go with the XE75 Pro as 2nd mesh node (WiFi 6E) to save some money (it's certified refurbished for 110 dollars on Amazon).
I assume it will backhaul to the BE85 (which I love) over 6 Ghz and will provide me with some good remote hardwired ports.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 175

Replies: 3

Related Articles