Deco's Can't Get Internet

3 weeks ago
Tags: #Internet Connection
Model: Deco XE75 Pro   Deco BE63  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've been having an on-going problem where my Decos are unable to connect to the Internet. It first started when I tried to add a newly purchased BE63 to my setup. The app assured me that it was as easy as clicking a button. Where that button was to this day is a mystery and it was not easy at all. Immediately I could not get an Internet connection, and this was the night before going on vacation. I tried returning to my previous set up, the Deco XE75 Pro, and it also could not longer get an internet connection. I was obtaining a WAN IP address from my ISP but was not getting internet. I am a MacBook user and I didn't have a hub I could use to try a direct wire connection to the port.

Coming back from my trip after being away for a week, I tried the ol' restart the Deco one more time. Magically I got a green light. I had too much to do to fiddle with the network so I left things alone until a few weeks later I thought I would once again try and add the BE63 onto my network. I bought the dang thing after all. I thought I would set it up stand alone and then reset the XE75 and add it on as a satellite. I got through the setup process, it setup the network, I got to the testing internet connection part of the setup and then redlight on the Deco. Frustrated, I put the XE75 back on the network and it got redlight too. It was just working and I didn't do anything. Both are getting IP addresses mind you. I decide to sleep on it, wake up, reboot the Deco and it mysteriously connects. Again not gonna push it.

Fast forward to three months later. I got the Anker Prime Charging Station and was trying to connect it to wifi. I put the Wifi password into the app to pass it to the device and I got "wrong password". I double checked it, it was correct. I tried it again. I tried it multiple times. The instructions say it can only connect to a 2.5Ghz network and the Deco is supposed to correctly route devices of that nature to the correct network, but I turned off the 5 Ghz just in case. That's when I lose internet and now nothing will bring it bac. I tried resetting my BE63 and setting up a new network, red light. I've restarted multiple times. I've fiddled with DNS settings. I am getting a WAN IP.

I also got a hub with an ethernet port and I am wire connected to my ISP from my Macbook. It's odd that none of my Decos will connect and I'm about to dig up an old router to see if it will connect. I'm wondering if there's something about Homeshield that could be preventing the routers from connecting? It's the only thing I can think of that would be common to both routers, but I am unable to turn it off to test because the Deco can't connect to the Internet. 

I hated my Eero mesh network but at least I was always connected. Sorry so long but I thought better to give more information than too little. If anyone has any suggestions, help is very welcome. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco's Can't Get Internet
3 weeks ago

@gwuinsf 

In recent weeks, I have encountered multiple issues with my XE75 Pro. Support advised me to change the priority of my two Deco units, designating the secondary Deco as the primary one. Unfortunately, this led to significant disruptions on my network, resulting in a 90-minute loss of internet connectivity.

Below, you will find the detailed write-up I submitted to the support team, along with the steps I took to resolve the issues. I hope this information proves helpful to you.

Before I began the process, I ensured that both Deco devices were online. I followed the instructions provided, and as soon as I designated the Living Room Deco as the primary unit, both devices' LED indicators changed from solid green to blinking red.

Following this change, I lost internet connectivity and encountered more issues with the application than I had experienced previously.

According to the Deco app, when the LED light is blinking red, it indicates that the device is disconnected from its primary Deco.

Currently, we are facing a new issue: the Pantry Deco, which was the primary unit, now perceives itself as the secondary, while the Living Room Deco, intended to be the main unit, still identifies as a secondary Deco.

At this point, I am without internet access. Before I explain how I resolved these issues, I would like to review several screenshots with you.

To regain connectivity, I followed these steps in sequence:

1. I initially attempted to access the settings to designate the Pantry Deco as the primary device. However, only the Living Room Deco appeared as an option, which was unexpected given that the above screenshot indicated it was connected.

2. Due to my inability to switch the Pantry Deco back to the main device, I opted to remove the Living Room Deco entirely. Unfortunately, this action led to the deletion of my entire network, necessitating a complete rebuild from scratch, which introduced several additional complications.

Subsequently, the Living Room Deco indicator began to blink blue, while the Pantry Deco continued to blink red. The Deco app then prompted me to set up my first device.

As I began to add the Living Room Deco back into the app, I encountered further challenges.

During the setup process, I was asked to create a network. Unfortunately, I could not do this as the network name was still associated with the Pantry Deco, indicating another disconnect between the app and the devices.

At this point, I reasoned that a reset switch must be available on these devices. I searched online and successfully located the reset switch.

I proceeded to reset both devices, unplugged the Living Room Deco, and designated the Pantry Deco as the primary device.

I then re-established both of my previous networks and re-added the Living Room Deco as the secondary device.

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options
3 weeks ago

Well, after being on my Macbook wired to the wall port for a bit to take care of things, I decided I'd plug the XE75 back in for the heck of it. Instant green light. It makes no sense to me. Could there be some kind of wonky security feature, like when you enter password wrong three times and you are locked out for an hour, on the thing? Some kind of poorly implemented Homeshield feature? It makes no sense that the resulting action is to disconnect itself from the internet. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@gwuinsf 

I am uncertain whether this issue is related to security protocols or not. It is possible that there may be a soft reset after a certain timeframe. However, I am merely speculating at this point. I recommend submitting a support ticket for further assistance.

Please refer to the post below for detailed instructions on how to open a support ticket.

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/694474

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 125

Replies: 3

Tags

Internet Connection
Related Articles