Archer C5400 not able to see USB drives

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-11-19 07:03:05
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi, I have a new Archer C5400, I like the wireless speed but it can not see USB drives.

I have connected 3 different USB devices to my C5400, USB 2 and USB 3. The USB light on the front panel is on but while logged in as admin there are no USB drives found. I have made sure sharing is on and created another user to use as a share but it never finds and drives. I have tried a Seagate hard drive in a tray, a Seagate passport drive and a USB flash stick. All of the devices show up when I connect them to my desktop PC. I upgraded the firmware to ArcherC5400(US)1.0_en_1.0.0 build 20160601Rel.43284 and restarted but it still never finds any USB devices.

The only units that show up are formatted NTFS and only on the USB 3 port. I have 2 Seagate 500 MB drives, one is FAT32 and the other is NTFS. Only the NTFS shows up and only on the USB 3 port. I also have a 32 GB USB flash drive that is NTFS and it too only shows up on the USB 3 port. I have not found any of my 10 different USB flash drives to show up on either port with the exception of the 32 GB flash drive made by Silicon Power with NTFS format. I have a 3 TB Seagate hard drive I want to use on it and no matter how I format it or change the partition size it never shows up.

I am considering sending it back and asking for a refund or exchange to another manufacturer. Tech support is almost useless since it has taken a week and all we have done is verify I am having a problem.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 not able to see USB drives
2016-11-20 16:51:55
I have learned many things trying to fix my problem. I have learned that the Archer C5400 can only see drives less than the MS-DOS type of partition table size limit of 2TB. My problem seems to be I have a 3TB drive. I can see the entire drive when I am connected on SATA to my desktop PC. I can only see the partitions that are under the 2TB limit on USB on my desktop computer. I am going to reformat my 2 Seagate USB 500 GB drives and use both of them. I created an extended partition of 500 GB and then created a logical NTFS drive in that partition of the maximum size, just under 500 GB. The Archer C5400 can then see the 500 GB USB drive with a NTFS partition.

It would be very nice if update to C5400 would be able to use GUID partition table type.

Hope all my work can help someone else in the future. I love this routers wireless speed, it is the fastest I have ever had. My Apple iPad4 only got 32MB download with my linksys router. I have 90 MB download with the C5400 router, very fast indeed.;)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1095

Replies: 1