Charter visit on Internet speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-15 03:43:10
Model : Archer C3200

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : latest

ISP : Charter

I have a new Archer C-3150, I bought it because I couldn't get any speed out of my old Wireless router . After installing, I didn't ge much better speed so I called Charter and scheduled a Tech. The night before he came I plugged my Linux desktop directly into the Charter Cable modem , by passing my new router and got a OOKLA speed test of 14.05mbps, (I pay for 60mbps), With the router connected I got 5.86mbps on Wireless.
The next morning he arrived and checked a few things, then rebooted the cable modem and had me check again, It got 66mbps with the Linux box directly connected, and also got 66mbps going through the router wirelessly. I was very happy but puzzled. I checked a few more times, and we got 62 to 66 mbps everytime.
Anyway, two hours later after he left, I sat down to do a few things on my PC, it seemed sluggish on the Internet, so I went back to the speed test. 2hours later after he left, it read 13.30 on my PS through the wired connect to the router, and 15.80 wirelessly.
Where did the speed go when he left?
While he was here, I could get 66mbps , wired and wirelessly through both OOKLA and Charter's speed test, 2 hours after the Tech left, I'm back down to around 15mbpson both of them on OOKLA, and still getting fairly good 55mbps wired if I use the Charter speed test.

What's going on? I'm impressed that my new router is giving me near the same speeds as my wired connection, but puzzled why that speed it so low?
Options
6 Reply
Re:Charter visit on Internet speed
2016-12-15 10:48:46
Hello Greyman,

From your description, it seems that you got different speed results through different test websites.
Maybe it's caused by the delay of OOKLA's test server. You can do a test with another website such as speedtest.net.
If the speed remains low, please try to connect your linux computer directly to the cable modem again and check if you get normal results.
If not, it seems an issue with the modem.
Options
2016-12-15 22:01:55

tplink wrote

Hello Greyman,

From your description, it seems that you got different speed results through different test websites.
Maybe it's caused by the delay of OOKLA's test server. You can do a test with another website such as speedtest.net.
If the speed remains low, please try to connect your linux computer directly to the cable modem again and check if you get normal results.
If not, it seems an issue with the modem.

I was using speedtest.net (from OOKLA).

I did test it directly connected (mulltiple times). Got high and low speeds.
The speed varies greatly at different times. Last night at 9pm I got 66 Mbps , then 10 minutes later 8 Mbps, both on a wireless tablet? Since the speed varys so greatly when directly connected, I'm guessing it's either the incoming charter feed or the charter modem.
Options
2017-01-11 06:00:04
Ok, I can get 66mb/ps reliably with my little Kindle Fire, through the C3150 at 2.4ghz, and without getting up from my chair pick up my Motorla Xoom and get 22mb/ps . Also my wife's Verizon Elpysis gets around 20mb/ps. I can walk out to my wired Linux Mint 17 Desktop and get 12 to 22mb/ps while connected through the C3150, and 18 to 22mb/ps. If I directly connect the Desktop to the Charter Modem, I get maybe 16 to 24mb/ps. Why is the Kindle able to pull the speeds I pay for, while the others can't come close?
On a second, informational note: If I turn on the Firewall on the Xoom, it drops down to 5 to 8 mb/ps. The firewall on my Linux box doesn't seem to make much differnce.
Options
2017-01-12 00:30:49
I notice that when you connect the Desktop directly to the Charter Modem, you only get 16 to 24mb/ps, then it seems an issue with the ISP modem but not the router I think.
In addition, sometimes you can get around 60Mbps but sometimes only get around 20Mbps, it's more likely that your internet connection is not very stable thus the speed will be fluctuating. And maybe a reboot of the modem may fix it but it keep existing.
Options
2021-07-11 01:40:08

If you want to check your internet speed click here for more info.

Options
2021-11-23 10:56:59

You can also determine your download speed using tm speed test this will let you know your exact speed result. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 982

Replies: 6

Related Articles