Neigbor bought a TL-ANT2424B. How to setup?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-20 23:42:06
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My neighbor bought a TL-ANT2424B to be able to use our Wifi signal, which I encourage him to do. We live on acerages, and where he is putting the antenna is about 200' away, through one brick wall. I'm helping him set
it up since I'm an IT guy. He bought a range extender (Amped|Wireless SR10000) to plug the antenna in with. We got the antenna hooked to the extender with the special pigtail. The extender is configured and his
computer is able to connect to it, but the signal is no stronger than just hooked up to my Wifi router (Asus RT-AC87U) directly. So I'm pretty sure we have something wrong.

In reading the forums here, I'm wondering if an extender is the wrong thing to be using? Seems most use a router/AP. Am I correct that this is the wrong thing to use? If so, what is the cheapest way to get this working?
He wants a system that will broadcast to multiple computers in his house, so has to be a wifi solution.

Also, how do we know if the antenna is optimally aimed at my router?

Thanks
Options
3 Reply
Re:Neigbor bought a TL-ANT2424B. How to setup?
2016-12-21 21:34:53
We played with it again last night. Instead of running it through the repeater, he as a little Alfa USB adapter. So we ran it through there directly hooked up to his laptop. The best we were able to get the signal strength was about 4mbps, but it was pretty inconsistent, and was often below 1mbps. At home, I'm seeing 50mbps on that connection. It's a dual band router, but the connection I setup for him is 2.4.

Any help getting this setup would be appreciated.
Options
2016-12-22 01:47:10
Thanks for the input, but he already owns it. Can you explain to me what is the easiest method to make this setup work?
Options
2016-12-22 08:57:17
Your link did not work, but he already has a coax cable to come off the 2424 antenna to the SR10000 or the Alfa unit I mentioned above. I assume that's what you mean, but please let me know if not. And we did aim the antenna carefully at the router across the street. Still didn't get any noticeable improvement in the data rates.

EDIT: I was able to get the PN out of the broken URL. TL-ANT24PT3. Yes, he has two of those, and is using the shorter one.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 980

Replies: 3